No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of random bubble vases, help please. - ID = Webb  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pair of random bubble vases, help please. - ID = Webb
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
unfortunately, can't really give you a precise answer Keith...........in the catalogue this fluted piece was lumped together with another, possibly more desirable, T/Webb 'Waterlilies' - 'Iris' ware vase.....  and the two, combined, were given an estimate of £150 - £200.

It may well be that in the intervening years T/Webb pieces such as this have done well - regret I've not bought such pieces, so can't help. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
Thanks anyway Paul, the waterlily pieces usually fetch quite a bit, one on ebay recently for £150 ! these were a fraction of that  ;D ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:03 PM »
Well spotted Paul !!

The actual realised price for the lot in question is published in the back of part 2 (for part 1 of the auction) and lot 310 went for £195.50 for the two (page 63 of part 2). I have a list of realised prices for part 2 of the auction if anyone wants copies (I will send via email) but they might still be available on-line , but I can't find it . The only use for this would be a comparison of relative prices at the time, I guess (but it is also relevant as an indication of real value now of course , if prices have remained buoyant or improved for rare pieces )   :) Part 1 , I also bought on ebay from the States (as did Paul) and is much more difficult to get hold of.....but well worth it if you can  !  Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
thanks Mike.            I looked in the back of Part 1 to see if there was a list of hammer prices, and of course there isn't  -  so I just assumed Part 2 would follow suit  -  how wrong can you be, and thanks for pointing that out. :)

Would agree that these catalogues are proving very useful in the fairly short time I've had them.       
I'd agree with Keith that the Waterlilies pieces are more inclined to make bigger money.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
Should have looked in Ch first  -  just spotted that this design is also shown in 'C20 British Glass' - page 302.

Hajdamach shows an example with a blue spiral, and comments that it was designed by Stan Eveson c. 1961, so does this make it a member of the 'Flair' range?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Doh ! what a dummy ! I was only looking at the flair range the other day !! where's me ginko tablets !  ::) ;D ;D ;D
     Thanks again Paul, ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
designed by Stan Eveson c. 1961, so does this make it a member of the 'Flair' range?
My thoughts as well. There are a few items I have that don't follow the conventional Flair ideal (e.g. no included bubbles), but I believe are part of that range. Strange that there doesn't appear to be much documentation on Webb's output during these years, but the company was taken over by Edinburgh Crystal in 1964, so perhaps that's some form of reason.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand