No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Covered honey modelled on a thatched straw hive  (Read 573 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Covered honey modelled on a thatched straw hive
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
See five images on GlassGallery, with click image to enlarge feature, via http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-20033

H. 12.5cm (5"), width across base 10.5cm (4"), w. 549g (1lb 3½oz).

Nice item that I can't recall seeing before.   The rather inaccurate bees on the lid and sides make its use obvious.   Note the little landing area just in front of the entrance arch and the traditional coiled straw roll construction of the sides.   Using this construction for the lid as in a traditional skep would have necessitated the addition of a handle of some type, solved by making the lid look like thatch, with the thatching straw bunched at the top to make a handle.   Clever.

Probably not British.   I can't find a real life lookalike on the internet.   Any information as to style, maker, or date would be most welcome.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Covered honey modelled on a thatched straw hive
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
could be Von Streit 1913 - or could be Portieux. There are several variations on the theme. Not sure but I think Leerdam made these too..
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Ivo & Christine — thanks for your replies.   I've checked my piece and it doesn't react to my UV tester, so not uranium green.

I've tried to follow the previous discussion you mentioned, Christine, but got lost.   I'm content with "Pretty C20 lidded honey, probably European".

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
Boyd Glass (USA) owns a mold which has the same number of horizontal rows (10) on the base, but the bees have different placement, and the finial on the lid is different, as is the location of the bees on the outside of the base.  It is contemporary and has been made in numerous colors.  I don't know who made your version, nor do I know where Boyd got their mold.  In the little book they released, it only mentions that they acquired a bunch of molds from Imperial at one time.  I also cross-checked my Degenhart book (the Boyd factory is the same as the Degenhart factory, just new owners) and it was not in that book, so the mold was new to Boyd and not inherited when the factory was purchased from Mrs. Degenhart.  While this does not tell you who made it, it also eliminates one of the 'possible contenders'.

Dave Peterson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand