No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart - early vase, purple pull ups - for show  (Read 1083 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Monart - early vase, purple pull ups - for show
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Hi,

Bit of a Monart fest. at the moment - excited by all my new bits - so apologies for my many postings  ;D

Found this abroad - just listed as "purple vase" - cost me more to ship it over  ;)

Anyway, I believe this is an early piece in a rare-ish colourway - purple, creamy? and green with an off-white inner,  bubbles in the glass. Base with ground button pontil scar but NO outer grinding.
Shape N size VIII+ (??) stands 7.5" high.
In more or less perfect condition for a change   ;) :D

Roberta

Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monart - early vase, purple pull ups - for show
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
Rather an unsual beast - I can remember the fuss and hassle it was when my BIL found his one, (although it is a slightly different shape, with angles on the body) - he was so excited - he'd wanted one for a long time. It was delivered to my house in Dundee by the owner, who had a gallery in Killin, where it was for sale, before making its way down to London - before making tits way back up to Scotland again...

And it wasn't as nice as yours. Yours has a much paler green and bubbly background, his is just speckled lilac-y and much darker, very like the one in Perth Museum.

You are very, very, very jammy, Roberta! ;D And buying Monart at the right time, now, when prices are about the lowest (compared to income) they've ever been.  8) 8) 8)

I don't have a pic of the one in Perth, not a proper one. I was trying to photograph a peculiar vase from the side of the cabinet, and the one the same as yours is just peeking out from behind on the right. But you can just about make out it's just sort of purple and lilac. Your imagination might try to fill in details like yours, but it would be wrong. It's just lilac and speckly. (no, it's not the tiny liqueur glass in pink and purple!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
Thank you - I have seen a picture of the Perth one courtesy of Gary C, I can't believe I found this one - I still don't know how as I don't normally look for stuff abroad and it wasn't listed as Monart! The estimate was about a tenner, but someone else spotted it too but I still got it for an excellent price.
I've been on holiday and it was like my birthday when I got back and it had arrived!!  ;D

Now I'm trying to get a collection to rival Perth  ;) ;) ;D

Roberta

Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
I've got a pink Monart pin dish that matches the one in the Museum if you want that. ;D

(It's the one I had in my hand, wandering around the museum to see if they'd notice appeared to have an exhibit it my mitts and they didn't. Phase one of my daring plan to acquire the Cylinder was tested.)

I did have a pink and purple liqueur glass, exactly the same too, but I gave my brother that.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
The one in Perth museum is an FB shape - it does look very similar but perhaps a bit more pink and a bit less of the green - always difficult to tell under different lighting.
Perhaps Gary could add the link from his user gallery- I wouldn't want to do it without his permission!!  ;D

Roberta

Maybe we could all turn up at the same time with a piece of Monart in hand while you spirit the cylinder away  ;) ;) ;D
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
What a great colour scheme on the vase (size V111+), one that has been on my wish list for a while. In my opinion it is a very early Monart piece, the coloured inner and the type of base finish is the give away .
Below is a photo of the Perth museum piece which looks very similar in colour to your one Roberta. In the ex I Turner collection (lot 117 and 126) there is the same colour scheme, though one is surfaced decorated.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Gary  ;D - saw those two - took me a while to realise that one was only surface decorated though I finally sussed it out!

also this one which I think is stunning EA shape - Christies  (S. Ken.) Sale 9838 — British Decorative Arts 11 May 2004 Lot 14

Now I really need another cabinet and to sort out my lighting.

Roberta
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand