No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Smoking Pipe Millefiori  (Read 3966 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Re: Caithness Smoking Pipe Millefiori
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
I hope he's ok, when looking at the prior thread about this weight, I saw his response, that he and Rosette had created the lampwork. While trying to figure out which of the many Allans and Alans he was, I noticed, he hadn't posted since 2012.

That's assuming he didn't re-register under a different user name, like Allan Scott for example.
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
Hi,
I am happy to report that I am alive and well, I have just been very busy with various things at work and unfortunately having to deal with a lot legal stuff after my Mum died. I am always happy to help anyone that has any queries about paperweights.

The Sherlock pipe design was indeed determined by the company who commissioned it, just letting our design studio come up with an idea. If I remember correctly, it was actually Colin Terris who decided on the final design.

Hope this helps

Allan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »
Great that you're doing well!

When a regular diisapears, I do tend to worry lol. Glad I  was being silly this time. : )
Bob Kegeles

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »
Hi all,   Just been catching up on posts missed and this post took me back to one of my post regarding this particular paperweight.    I am assuming the thread below is the post you were referring to Bob.  If it is, I can certainly rule out my paperweight being an unfaceted second and the lampwork done by Willie Manson  ;D.

Firstly, please accept my condolances Allan.   With reference to your comments, here is the link below that provides interesting reading for those that would like to know about Colin Terris.

Does anyone have any idea on how many were made? Just curious to know, as I only have seen two so far.

1.  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32047.msg173291.html#msg173291

2.  http://www.theglassmuseum.com/terris.htm

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
Hey Otis,

Here's what I ended up writing for my EBAY listing, selling the piece.  Cribbed together from several threads, and several responders.

"This beautiful Caithness Glass Sherlock Holmes centennial commemorative millefiori and lampwork faceted paperweight, designed by Allan Scott and Rosette Fleming in 1987,  features a brilliant lampwork Calabash Meerschaum pipe, (Sherlock's iconic pipe), complete with a wisp of smoke.

The pipe is surrounded by four concentric rings of tiny millefiori, (produced on contract, by John Deacons), laid on a lovely translucent blue ground, and finished with six perimeter facets, as well as a large top facet.

This piece was commissioned in 1987, by an American wholesaler, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the publication of A. Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes novel.

While it does not have an etched signature, it does have a transparent Caithness Glass label on the bottom. The bottom also features a fantastic signature J date cane, denoting that the canes were produced by John Deacons.

A fantastic gift for a Sherlock Holmes fan, or simply to add to your Caithness Glass or Sherlockian collection."

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
The bottom also features a fantastic signature J date cane, denoting that the canes were produced by John Deacons.
Are you sure it is a "J" date cane (you don't show it in the auction) and not a "Whitefriars" date cane (which I find on images in my collection)?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
I believe it was my comments elsewhere that gave the info about JD making canes on contract for Caithness Glass.

However, there would not have been any reason for a JD-type "J" cane to have been included in a Caithness weight - with or without the type of canes that JD made for them.
KevinH

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
Wuff, am I misreading this date cane?  When someone, on one of the threads, said that John Deacons was making the canes at the time, I took the line in the center of the date cane to be a "J". Did I goof?

As to "am I sure", god no, every time I'm sure about anything, it seems to end up that I'm wrong. LOL
Bob Kegeles

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »

Hi Bob.  That is not a J Glass 'J' cane - it is the (very) stylised Whitefriars monk symbol, used by Caithness after they bought the rights to use the Whitefriars name.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Bob, my comment and yours seemed to have crossed in the virtual ether. See above.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand