No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed to ID Victorian Child's Water Set (?) Please  (Read 543 times)

Offline auliya

• Members
Help needed to ID Victorian Child's Water Set (?) Please
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this set for me. The pitcher is 7 inches high, the glasses 3 inches, it is very fine and delicate glass, a bluey grey frosted band around the upper section, clear frosting to the lower, with gilding and dotted enamel decoration. It has a polished pontil mark to the base of the jug.  I am pretty sure it is late Victorian, but I have no idea where it was made, by whom, or what use it could possibly have had. It seems too fragile to be a child's water set but I can't think of what else it could be? If anyone could help with any answers, including if there is a specific name for this type of glass, it would be greatly appreciated

many thanks
Auliya

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Help needed to ID Victorian Child's Water Set (?) Please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
Bohemian is likely but the style of decoration could be anytime and later than Victorian. Are the green and lower bands etched or printed?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
I agree that it looks Bohemian or Czech to my eye, and that the dating could anywhen between the turn of the century to the 1930s, give or take.  I would not agree that it is a child's set since you say it is delicately made, and also because it appears to be finely made.  My guess is that it would be for something more like cordials or perhaps fruit juice or some other kind of liquid where one takes a smaller amount at a time.

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:47 AM »
I'd like to see the outside bottom of the jug. Several American companies did this sort of thing in the 1890-1910 time frame. These look like "thin wall blown" tumblers as they were called in the industry. The light acid etching was done with so-called "white acid."
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline auliya

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »
I don't have a photo of the base, I am sorry, but it is slightly concave in the centre and polished where the pontil mark would have been. I have seen quite a lot of fine glass with this type of frosting and the dot enameling, usually dated around late Victorian/Edwardian era and usually from the US. The set being a cordial set or for fruit juice makes more sense than it being for a child, thanks for your help
regards
Auliya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand