No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moulded deceptive glass?  (Read 598 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Moulded deceptive glass?
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
Hi all, here is one of those blade knopped glasses,1820ish?,with polished pontil and obviously the bowl is from a mould,it's very thick and i was wondering if it is a deceptive or that  is how they were made and any other information on them anyone might have,thanks very much.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Moulded deceptive glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
It's possible, but I'd suggest the capacity is perhaps too large, and your suggested date of c. 1820 ish too early.  Take it that the bowl is smooth both inside and out??       You don't give the height  -  is it about 4" - 4.5"  -  if so this might be a dram glass or perhaps for port, and I'd have put the date nearer 1850 - 60 possibly, and possibly a pub/tavern glass.

I get the impression that in the earlier years of press/plunger moulding 1840 - 60 it was the slightly pointed plungers that created this internal shape at the bottom of the bowl.        It seems they were popular with pubs and taverns - presumably in view of the lack of weights and measures regulations, short measures were not uncommon. 

press-moulding was the big thing post 1840 ish, a process indicated, in a bowl, by varying thicknesses of glass as in this one, and seams, although these were removed by fire polishing.           Prior to this there was mould-blown glass - one feature of which was that, again for example in a bowl, the glass was normally of uniform thickness.

The bladed knop and polished out pontil scar have too wide a date range to be helpful here, I think.

these are my opinions - let's see what the really clever people think :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:50:37 PM »
It's about 3.75" and smooth inside and out with a point in the base so spot on i would think Paul,thanks.On the same subject are these deceptive glasses,i would have said no,but i keep seeing them described as such,they have shear marks to the base.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
I am sure Paul S (and other experts) will give a better explanation than me, but ...

When I wonder if an item might be "deceptive glass", I start with an image of a "Penny Lick" in my mind. (See Paul's info on these here.) A main point is that a deceptive glass should have a noticeably smaller internal volume than is apparently seen from the overall size of the bowl. So using the idea of a penny lick, and then imagining a glass with much thinner walls and rim, I would end up with what could be a "deceptive glass" such as used by toastmasters to avoid taking too much alcohol during proceedings.

I agree that lots of the so-called "deceptive glasses" seen on the internet and elsewhere, are "not as described".
KevinH

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
  Hi,
            A few deceptive glasses ,

cheers ,
                 Peter.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone,can't think of a nicer way to spend a windy wet Sunday than discussing glasses and wow Peter!, they are beautiful,my last chance i'm afraid is this 6.75" ale glass?it is very heavy and probably for pubs,but i feel it could be.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
don't you just feel so sorry for the toastmaster  -  never getting a proper drink ;)

As Kevin has said  -  and shown in Peter's glasses  -  it's the capacity of the bowl rather than the overall size of the glass that is the deciding factor.           You can see from the date indicated by Peter quite how far they go back  -  and 1700 must be one of the earliest.

The two small conical shaped bowls are drams, and most definitely not deceptive, neither is the ale.
Presumably, sellers who are describing such glasses wrongly, are using word association again to improve their chances of a sale.

Carry on looking, am sure you'll find one sooner or later. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
meant to acknowledge Peter's contribution on this one a bit better  -  if you knew something about C18 glasses, you'll know how special they are............   probably doesn't use these though  -  capacity is too small. ;)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »
Thanks again,all of my glasses above were boot fair and were not described as deceptives and the ale was a fiver from nice little antique shop, again no description ,but i have to admit to thinking the ale was one when i came across it. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand