No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A pair of Tapirs  (Read 764 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
A pair of Tapirs
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on these? Just got them off Ebay. They do appear to be a pair of Tapirs - not pigs. Quite heavy, 70mm tall. The variety of wear evident does suggest some age - i.e., they're not brand new anyway. They're both slightly different to each other. No markings underneath, or stickers. The only thing I've found even remotely similar is new, and Russian made, a black Panther (russian-crafts.com).

Any views appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: A pair of Tapirs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
Tapir? Maybe. Maybe not.

Should have a short "trunk" instead of a blunt end to the face. And should not have much, if anything, of a tail.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
I just wonder if it is related to my rhino?  It shares some similarities i.e. the general shape, stumpy tail, ears, pressed in eyes, and may be size also ???  Mine has its original Elme label (Elme Glasbruk, Sweden, which closed in 1970).    The rhino is approx. 115mm in length, 60mm at its highest, and approx. 440g.
Could possibly be from the same glassworks ??? unless someone knows differently ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Are they tapirs? - well I'm not 100% sure, they could be stylized bears I suppose. Tapirs do have small tails and there are different sorts (so my other half tells me anyway). Anne E.B. - there do indeed seem to be similarities with your rhino (quite an abstract rhino, like my 'tapir'). One of the tapirs/bearpigs is 115mm long and the other is 120mm long. One weighs in at 398g and the other 416g. The type of wear evident does look like decades of use rather than recent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand