No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsigned Blue bird of Happiness. HELP!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline MZ

• Members
  • I'm new! Tell me all you know please!
    • Antiques
    • United States
Unsigned Blue bird of Happiness. HELP!
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:50:35 AM »
Hello! I have a blue bird of happiness that looks very close to those of Leo Ward, but as I said, it has not signature. The only defining marks are two small hash marks on the side, if they even count, and an inserted.... Well I'm really not sure what to call it. The picture below shows the added feature.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0q54q5gxoinfz8/2014-08-12%2020.08.56.jpg

Can anyone help? As you can tell I'm clueless.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Unsigned Blue bird of Happiness. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
Hi MZ, welcome to the Board.

We really need to see photos of the whole bird as well as how the base is finished and any other details. It is best if the photos are taken against a plain white or gray background. That way the image will be clearer and the camera will have a better chance of focusing on the item rather than anything else in view.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
They look like random artefacts of production, a couple of tool marks or impressions and an impurity in the glass. The bird also looks similar to those made by several Scandinavian glass makers (such as Bergdala, FM Ronnerby, Reijmyre but there are many others).

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:19:39 AM »
Hi MZ  and welcome to the board :)
Your blue bird is certainly not a Scandinavian piece... 
Leo ward sometimes used paper labels that were eventually washed off and there is also Ron Ray of Terra Studios who almost always signed his birds,  but not all,  especially if they were seconds or faulty. 
With those marks on it I would guess it is a second and I would go with Ron Ray or Leo Ward.

It would be really helpful if you were to post these pictures as actual pictures rather than links.  We have had a problem in the past where links no longer work or disappear and then the information is no longer there for reference, and many of us rely on looking back at links for reference to new queries, so if you can change these pictures or ask a moderator to help you do that it would be very useful in the future.
If you go to the heading at the top of the page where it says Home, there is also a link for 'search' and you can put Bluebird of Happiness,  or Ron Ray or Leo Ward in there and come up with other links that may help to reassure you that yours is one of their birds.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand