No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy - I just don't know - vase  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Heavy - I just don't know - vase
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
Recently aqquired this weighty number - 3.9kg, it's 315mm tall. I really don't have much clue about it at all other than I took it upon myself to consider that it was Murano. It can't be very old as there is very little wear underneath considering its considerable weight. By the look of it someone has gone to the trouble of having a chip removed from the base - (see underside picture on the left, an area of polishing that's taken the roundness off the base slightly) unless that was done in the factory?. I can only think it must be quite difficult to make a vase like this. There is a glittery finish to the green and gold bits and the inside is cased white. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Heavy - I just don't know - vase
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
The glittery bits are aventurine of different types. Quite a sophisticated and complex piece that has been flipped through 90º at some point. Would have been expensive new.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »
Thanks Frank, the word 'aventurene' has helped my Google searching a bit. The frightening thing is that the only vases I can find that are remotely similar to this in any way are either 1950s Murano (I don't think so), Kamei Osaka (I don't think so either) or... wait for it, the 'Ann Primrose Collection' - no, really. That would be the 'Ann Primrose Collection' that puts 'Murano' stickers on glass made in China. So can the Chinese make stuff like this difficult? I like the sound of 'sophisticated and complex' but I'm not so keen on the Ann Primrose idea...

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »
I would love to own this, as Frank says a quality piece, having spent four hours last night looking a Chinese mass produced glass, this does not look like that at all.
Chris Parry

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
The thing is, this type of vase is not something I've ever bought before - in fact apart from a passing resemblance to some Isle of Wight I've never seen anything like it. I have quite a few glass reference books but nothing much like this is apparent. It would appear to be a Murano technique - with the aventurene idea (I've so far been unable to work out what kind of 'aventurene' effect this actually is as there appear to be several different types) but beyond that I really haven't got any further. Here are a couple of close-up pics of the aventurene. Sparkly colours are in fact goldy/coppery, green and dark blue.

When I get stuck like this I either resort to thinking it might be Polish or Chinese! Are you sure the more expensive Ann Primrose vases (mostly available in the US - I've no idea what or who Ann Primrose is, other than what everyone else already knows) are not in this sort of league? Although the Ann Primrose vases I've found on ebay seem to have a matt finish (Ann Primrose aventurene 'feathers' vase) to the underside and are not quite a complex in structure as mine.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »
I really like it, but I'm afraid I've thought it was good contemporary Chinese from the start. Now I've had a look at some of the ann primrose stuff, I'm even more sure.

But I would very happily give it house room. Beautiful glass is always beautiful glass, no matter who made it or where, or when, it was made. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »
Well the only glittery ray of hope left for me now is that I'd have thought if it was from the mysterious Ann Primrose Collection then there would be others the same? I don't know how long Ann Primrose vases have been around (I'm increasingly wishing they weren't). So is there any chance it could be Kamei Osaka or Murano then? I'm definitely putting a positive spin on the situation now. After reading the 'Multi-coloured/vase bowl - Avem tutti-frutti? Chinese?' thread, the productive and increasingly ingenius nature of the Chinese seems to be difficult territory to navigate.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
And ... some items (such as paperweights) that may have been made in Taiwan, and distibuted by outlets like "Ann Primrose", have shown a better quality and finish than many of the mainland Chinese items.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
There have been some seriously dramatic increases in quality from contemporary Chinese sources recently.
I have heard that a whole load of Polish glass masters have been imported to teach makers.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
Zibo Anto are the most advanced Chinese maker of thickwalled colourware and I have seen things from them which are quite close.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand