No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness/Selkirk Glass  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
Caithness/Selkirk Glass
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
I have a quite a large selection of Caithness/Selkirk from their early days of production and even though they are not prized nowadays, I still think there are some lovely lampwork designs from the early era, especially work by Manson, Scott, McDonald etc. 

Does anyone agree with me or is everybody past the Caithness stage due to the high volumes they have latterly produced?  (I must admit I have subsequently moved on to limited edition Perthshires and American artists but still would not want to sell my Caithness/Selkirk weights - Rosie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Caithness/Selkirk Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
... especially work by Manson, Scott, McDougall etc
I don't think Peter McDougall had much connection with Caithness Glass or Selkirk Glass.

As for people's collecting habits, I suspect there is still a strong focus for many folk on both Caithness and Selkirk, and at both the specialized and generalized levels.

Personally, with my rather blinkered view towards "all things Ysart" I do not actively collect either Caithness (non-PY) or Selkirk items although I have examples of both.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
Sorry, I meant McDonald at Caithness and Holmes at Selkirk - Rosie

Offline paperweightrow

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »
 Rosie, I agree that  some limited edition Caithness examples are sophisticated. expertly designed and well made paperweights. I favour the William Manson era myself, and they form the bulk of my 55 piece Museum Pieces Collection. But some other pieces are fine paperweights, and that extends to a few of their recently made pieces, which indicates a move back to reasonable quality. This is now aided by the fact that Allan Scott and (surprise) Peter McDougall are both designing a few weights for Caithness - see my forthcoming Newsletter- which is good news. 

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
The interesting thing is that some many years ago Caithness produced a weight called "Camelot" and the demand for it at the time was unbelievable - pieces were changing hands at £300 plus even then because of its popularity - how times change - I am now informed that this particular edition sells for £80-100 at best. 

What I do love about paperweights is that, as they develop in complexity of design and the number of Paperweight manufacturers increases, they become more and more appealing  to add to individual'collections (not to my bank balance or my bank manager though) LOL. Rosie.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »
Allan Scott is a member here. I have some images of LE weights he made for the 2005 Scottish Glass Society Exhibition, which I recently posted in another thread, (which I now cannot find).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
The interesting thing is that some many years ago Caithness produced a weight called "Camelot" and the demand for it at the time was unbelievable - pieces were changing hands at £300 plus even then because of its popularity - how times change - I am now informed that this particular edition sells for £80-100 at best.
Hello Rosie,

You can view two images of Camelot on Scotland's Glass. Issued in 1983 the Original price was £35 (edition size 750) .... in 2004 Charlton estimates its value as £100 - which then had to be considered an optimistic price - and in the age of ebay it will be even more optimistic. £300 may have been an asking price, or a price tag in a shop - but I very much doubt it changed at this price. If it has, one of the two parties (guess which) had a very good deal ::).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:38:45 AM »
Dear Chopin-Liszt/Wuff - Firstly, thank you for the Allan Scott pictures - his work is really lovely and is a worthy asset to any collection.

In response to the email about Camelot costing £35 - I know, I bought one but for some reason the weight became desirable and I do know of at least two Caithness collectors who paid "over the odds" at that time.  To be truthful, it isn't even that nice a weight when you look at it in the cold light of day - but if there is a demand, up goes the price (and then just as quickly, falls out of favour).

As a newbie to this forum, may I ask whether "abstract" weights are now completely out of favour? 

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »
May I ask whether "abstract" weights are now completely out of favour?
The term "abstract weights" is difficult to define strictly - let's take a look at a couple of the most recent Caithness weights: Enchanted Fire or Mother of Pearl. Are these "abstract"? I would assume they will certainly appeal to collectors more than (what I call) "swirly-whirly" weights, which could come from any place around the world.

You had mentioned Camelot, which I don't have - but I have Moonscape (attached): also 1983, also edition 750 fully subscribed, also originally £35, with £85 (Charlton) estimated a bit lower than Camelot - I acquired it for £32 a couple of years ago. Is that an "abstract" or an "inspired" weight?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »
Wuff, your weight looks really nice - similar colouring to Camelot in many ways.  What other types of paperweight do you collect?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand