No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help - small millefiori paperweight with twists?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
ID help - small millefiori paperweight with twists?
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »
Hi,

Firstly, apologies for the poor quality of the pictures taken with my phone.
Also, I don't really know anything about paperweights or the terminology so please bear with me if I get it wrong!
I saw this and was intrigued by it - it looked (to my novice eye) quite good quality, the vendor thought it was quite old but there was very little wear on it.
I have to guess the measurements as approx. 2.25" diameter x maybe 2" high  - looked quite domed but was also slightly lopsided.
It had a "depression" in the centre base (is it still a pontil scar? on paperweights) but the whole of the base looked shiny.
Any help much appreciated,
Roberta
Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ID help - small millefiori paperweight with twists?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Very likely a "PP2" weight from Perthshire Paperweights, 1969 to 1977.

"PP1" and "PP2" designs were Large (3 inch), and Medium (2.5 inch) and followed the same basic patterns of spoke-and-millefiori. From 1978 they were signed with a "P" cane, so without a signature, yours is before 1978.

The base is fire polished, which was also a feature of pre-78 of "PP1/2" designs.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
Thanks Kevin, from your info I've had a look around and found several similar examples.
one more question - what does "presse papiers" mean? (and is it often used incorrectly in descriptions?)

Roberta
Roberta

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
"Presse papier" is French for "paperweight".
KevinH

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
Thanks!!

having now spent the last couple of hours looking at paperweights  ;) this one seems to be different to the PP2s I have come across - the centre cane is surrounded by 3 rings of tightly packed canes - the ones I have seen either have 2 rings or the ones that do have 3 rings - the outer ring is not close packed .
The centre cane appears to have what looks like a flower outline in it - very hard to see!
I can confirm the size is just under 2.5" diameter, approx 1.75" high.

better pics hopefully below,
Thanks,
Roberta
Roberta

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
I think what you see as a "flower outline" is the shape of an 8 section mould, with each section having a "3-spike pattern".

That mould was used for canes made by the Ysart men at Ysart Brothers (Vasart) (1946-56), which then became Vasart Ltd (1956) and then became Strathearn Glass (1964). Then in 1968/9, some folk left Strathearn to form Perhshire Paperweights - no doubt taking some useful things with them.

Canes of that pattern were used extensively in Strathearn weights and they look very good when their shape is well-defined in a weight. And some of the earlier canes actually made it all the way from the 1940s through to the starting of Perthshire Paperweights - and beyond.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
The number of rows of canes, as well as the number of twists used as section separators, varied greatly within the PP1/2 designs. And the "tightness" of a row of canes varied as well.

Unfortunately for the collector, Perthshire Paperweights sometimes produced weights under one design number that varied a lot (and in some cases was completely different) across the years of that design!
KevinH

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
After lot more looking I have found that most PP2s I have come across have a centre cane surrounded by two concentric rings, then a 1,1,2,2 formation.
I have found a few, mostly pre 1977 that have the two rings then a 1,2,2 formation.
But I still haven't found one like mine with 3 rings and a 1,2,2 formation !! ???

Anyone out there got one or a picture to post?

Many thanks,
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand