No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hock glasses  (Read 526 times)

Offline PeteJ78

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stemware
    • United Kingdom
Hock glasses
« on: October 04, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi, I recently inherited quite a lot of crystal which I'm trying to identify and value. I've got stuck on a few pieces and I was hoping someone could let me know the make and pattern of this glass. Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Hock glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »
Looks like A Waterford glass maybe Lismore but the top cross is not large enough unless your pics are producing a smaller cross, like an optical illusion. It could also be Edinburgh crystal Appin. That stem is typical of a Waterford wine hock though, can you take a pic looking through the inside of the glass against a black background, like my pic which is a pattern i'm also struggling with, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline PeteJ78

• Members
    • Stemware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I also thought it resembled Lismore but that the pattern was slightly different. At first I thought it was Stuart Shaftesbury, but the stem is completely different. I've attached the type of picture you mentioned, as well as a pic of another one that I have no idea about. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pete

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
The pattern looks like Stuart Glendevon on a Waterford stem, i know from talking to the people in the Stuart shop Waterford carried on using Stuarts patterns, you may never be sure unless there signed, as for the second Greek key glass that looks 50's and that pattern or variation has been made for many years, i have a set of 1870's glasses somewhere with it on, it's the most common charity shop patterned glass.

A nice set of wine hocks usually sell between 40 and 60 quid for six, if you can find a signed glass and you know the pattern name they can fetch what ever someone is willing to pay if they have a broken glass and want a set, usually around £25 a glass.

Look in Ebay completed listing and it will give you an idea of what there worth, if you can i think it might be best to upload any future photo's here direct, i still keep finding links to pieces of glass i have no idea about on here from 2007, the photobucket ones are usually gone, i'm not sure how it works but i assume the images are stored for future reference, as a general rule no one likes to talk about values as they are all subjective and reflect the market value at a particular time, i love finding patterns so keep them coming, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline PeteJ78

• Members
    • Stemware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »
Thanks Chris, really helpful. I have a set of 6 of the Stuart/Waterford glasses, but I'm pretty sure none of them are marked. I also have some brandy glasses that I'm struggling to identify so I'll upload them in the next few days. Thanks again.

Pete.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand