No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three handled carnival glass vase help please. ID = Dugan - Maple Leaf  (Read 2021 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
I thought it would be an easy ID, i think this might have some age to it, it feels Victorian and there is wear to the points on the base, the moulding is very sharp and it looks like a three piece mould, i have no idea of real age or maker or what it was used for, it might be modern hence the help request, regards Chris.

It's 4 inches in height, 3 1/2 inches across the rim  and 3 1/4 inches across the base.
Chris Parry

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Three handled carnival glass vase help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:07:13 PM »
It's a little bit newer than Victorian: US carnival glass was produced from 1907. It is a spooner in Dugan's Maple Leaf  (the background is known as Soda Gold)
Item 1051 http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7897629

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Thanks Christine, ive spent most the afternoon trying to look this up, i think around 1915 would not be far off it's age, what do you think ?.
Chris Parry

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:54 AM »
It's more likely 1908-1912, as Marigold (made by spraying hot glass with iron chloride) was the earliest Carnival color. This web site will show you other pieces:

http://www.ddoty.com/mapleleaf.html

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
Re: Three handled carnival glass vase help please. ID = Dugan - Maple Leaf
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:33:49 AM »
I do not doubt that yours is Dugan made, but be aware that this pattern in marigold carnival finish is still being made today from the original molds by Mosser Glass which is one of the modern production companies that has bought up large numbers of the original old molds from out of business glass companies of the past.  Mosser clearly marks their modern production with their M hallmark on the bottom center of each piece so no one will confuse it with early production by Dugan or others.  Mosser's examples are very nice quality and I have a pitcher and glasses set in this pattern from them.  Here is a link to the current Mosser catalog - see page 23 for their marigold carnival Maple Leaf items.

Here is a link to the current Mosser catalog - scroll down to page 23 to see marigold carnival Maple Leaf glass.   http://www.mosserglass.com/assets/pdf/Mosser-Retail-Catalog-2014.pdf

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
Crazy to think a copy is worth 4 times or more the price of an original. Great link by the way.
Chris Parry

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
I get your point and agree, though to be fair in a way the new production ones might be considered to be originals as well since they are make with the original molds and if the maker is not honest like Mosser who puts their own hallmark on the bottom are identical to the ones made earlier by the original factories. 

The perversity the higher cost of new production vs. the lower cost of the old ones is vexing.  On the surface it makes no sense, but if you consider the cost to produce a piece of glass today by a factor such as Fenton or Mosser or one of the others, in some ways I wonder why the price on new production is as low as it is.  Think about the cost of not just the raw materials these days, but more so the cost of the natural gas to fire up the furnaces and keep them at that high temperature 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even when you are not producing.  And think about the cost of paying the talented workers.  Glass making is not something one picks up and becomes good in the time it would take someone to learn how to flip burgers and make fried at Mickey D's.  You need to pay for that talent.  And then there is the cost of the factory and the land on which it is located including the annual taxes and insurance and all of the other basic operating costs for any factory.  And finally, you need to allow for some profit for the owners - they are not making glass as a charity operation, they need to see enough profit to make it worth their while and keep on making glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand