No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass bases and other identifcation.  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Malta Decorative Glass bases and other identifcation.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Here are some of my MDG bases.....

The first is a dghajsa ashtray (damaged) with label , the base shot shows the 'battuto' finish.

The second doesn't have a label but also has a similar finish to the base which hasn't been picked up by the camera.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
Here are two types of MDG swans . The first green and blue one exactly matches the colour of the boat ashtray and has the same finish to the base. There is no label but I'm as sure as sure can be that it is MDG. The second swan does have a label , different design but a completely matte finish to the base.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »
Lastly a penguin chick which does have a good polish to the base. The other bases have a very very slight matte finish to them but they have been polished.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Sorry about the horizontal pics..........not sure how that happened  ::)

Here are some colour comparisons between the boat and swan....there isn't any amber colour in the swan.
Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
Hi Mike, thank you every much, certainly so far most of the labelled ones seem to have Battuto bases, very interesting.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
I think what might be happening is that these very shallow groves might be caused by a build-up of courser particles whilst the base of the piece is being ground down using a courser grit to start with and then the piece is turned through 90 degrees and finished off using a finer polishing grit....that's my take on it as far as I can tell from my examples . They all seem to have it to a greater or lesser extent apart from swan with the circular base which was made from a mould and the penguin chick .  :)
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand