No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Doorknobs from France  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Millefiori

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Whitefriars paperweights
    • Usa
Doorknobs from France
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Hi everyone,
Bought these 2 doorknobs on ebay from France. Just loved the millefiori..Anyone has an idea what they are?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Doorknobs from France
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »

Hi.  The short answer is 'No' - maker not known.

There will be two articles in the PCA Bulletin 2016 (one by me, one by Paul Dunlop) concerning a couple of factories that probably made these doorknobs and a whole range of high quality paperweights (millefiori patterns, colour grounds, sodden snows etc) that have been wrongly attributed over the years, often to Clichy.   The doorknobs have been called all kinds of things : Dorflinger, Saint-Louis, Clichy, St Mande...but these attributions are almost certainly wrong. There is always some doubt because canes can move around between factories, but Paul thinks an unknown French factory, whereas I think they may be from an unknown Belgian factory (I am sure some of the paperweights are Belgian).  I think they are closely linked to the 'starfish cane' paperweights, about which I have written a couple of articles.  Whoever made them, they are quite nice pieces, and always similar in style.  If you search Google images for millefiori doorknob you will find some more examples.

I have attached an image of a couple I used to own.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Millefiori

• Members
    • Usa
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
So do you think this is actually the pair as they contain the same cane ?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »

Hi.  I don't really know the answer...I have seen a number of single examples, and a few that were on a shaft as a 'pair' - but none of those I have seen on a shaft actually matched each other.  Maybe they just sold them as single items, rather than matching pairs? Or perhaps they have just become separated from each other over time, and then 'paired' with a somewhat different design.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Millefiori

• Members
    • Usa
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
Thank you for all the info. The PCA you are talking about is the British one I assume..not the PCA here in the US..

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »

Hi.

It is the US Paperweight Collectors Association, Inc. Annual Bulletin that I am talking about.  (Our UK equivalent is the PCC - Paperweight Collectors Circle).

Alan

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:29 PM »
I have these two unknowns in my collection as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand