No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carafe etched GR on base  (Read 533 times)

Offline Spuddog

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British and irish glass
    • United Kingdom
Carafe etched GR on base
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Hi all, I'm enjoying the discussion on the GR etched onto the curved ground ponytail of this rather ordinary carafe. I am lucky enough tow own two of these and I hope to have a third one soon. The discussion has made me examine my own carafes more closely and in my opinion there is no arrow.
It is the stylised capital for the letter G to distinguish it from a capital C. As already suggested this stands for King George (Rex). Some of them have G V1 R as in George the 6th. This one could be from his reign. If there is evidence of this type of manufacture in the reign of George V then it could be from this era also. I will try to attach a blown up drawing of the etching to illustrate the style and the 3D effect that the etching displays. I hope this is helpful and is quite different from any arrow mark to indicate War Department and which is always displayed separately. I have been told that these carafes were used by the services and no doubt in a mess environment for port, wine, or water,
They could also have been Goverment issue of the day.
I think if they were for a pub or hotel they would have advertised their name on the front of the vessel.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Carafe etched GR on base
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
Hi Spuddog, welcome to the GMB.

Unfortunately your post appears to be a response to a discussion on another Board or site.

Could you clarify, please?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand