No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More help with Identification please :-) ID = Sanders & Wallace  (Read 1891 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
Re: More help with Identification please :-)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
With the iridescent vase:  Is the iridescent effect seen at the clear ground areas, or is it just the 'blueish' thread that is so?
So it goes.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
I wonder if its worth checking with Sanders & Wallace, although the shape is a relatively common form, it is one they did also produce. They are also fairly local to you based in North Yorkshire. Their contact email can be found in the following link:

http://www.kingstreetworkshops.co.uk/glassmakers/contact.php

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sanders-wallace-signed-dated-art-308931487

Offline lynbin58

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
Hi everyone

Mystery solved, when john suggested sanders and Wallace I did indeed contact them (great minds think alike Greg) :-) , I have just received confirmation from David Wallace that they are definitely his :-)  that they were made at their Otley studio in the early 1980's. Thank you to everyone for all their help and information it has certainly given me an appetite to learn more 😀

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: More help with Identification please :-) ID = Sanders & Wallace
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:03 AM »
And thus, another glassy is born  ;D   Welcome to our world, Lynbin!

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »
 :o  WOW.... just done a Google Images search for Sanders & Wallace.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Sanders+%26+Wallace&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=5Im&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=j9asVOGfKYXq8gWF4oKwAQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoBA#safe=off&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=rcs&tbm=isch&q=Sanders+%26+Wallace+glass&imgdii=_

A similar image to the subject vase is there [for an ended eBay listing], but WOW.. some of their pieces are very interesting.

An aqua coloured 'wave' sculptural form is in my mind as WANTED! 

Still interested to know if clear coloured glass on that acid etched vase is iridescent like the 'blued' areas. ... and if acid etching reduces iridescent quality.

:-\

At risk of digressing from glass subject... now ID is confirmed and all  ;D

I say 'blued' because that is the term used in the Fitting & Machining trade when steel is cut at a high speed, efficiently, so that 'tempering colours' appear on the thin waste [swarf] ribbons.
On a lathe, milling machine or drill press, it indicates the machinist is working at correct rate. If colour doesn't appear on waste it shows the machinist is wasting time at the job!
This colour also appears on the cutting edges of drill bits if pushed way too hard, indicating the drill has been heated to the point of loosing hardness. Not a good look at all. It indicates the machinist has ruined the cutting bit... the work of an idiot.

These 'temper colours' are also used as a decorative effect on Titanium jewellery... very profound colour effects result when heated.     

So it goes.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
Modern vases are generally not acid etched: too nasty. Any form of frosting removes the surface and as irridising is a chemical reaction at the surface it would be removed. The gloss of irridising depends on the temperature of the glass when it is treated with the metal salts, I believe

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
Thanks for the insight Chris.
I admire your valuable knowledge of glass here.

I realise there seems to be different forms of iridised glass around.
I'm interested in how it is done and limitations on what can be done.
I have examples of different types in my collection, both of matte and glossy finish.

What I need to do is photograph and set up an album of sorts here.
Of merit in terms of signature ID and Artist examples of works for reference virtue for members. Don't know how to do that, yet.

So it goes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand