No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Glass, Cordial?, with Engraved Decoration and Folded Foot, Georgian?  (Read 714 times)

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Another buy from the same charity shop. Love this little glass and bought it because of the recent discussion about folded feet on another thread. Anyway I think this is known as a cordial glass, it measures 9.5cm in height and 6cm across the foot, which is definitely folded this time, and has a rough pontil scar. I would guess at Georgian period but which George I have no idea. I've seen similar glasses with wheel engraved decoration listed as George II but would like opinions from here.

Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
some charity shop you have ;)

my opinion is not a cordial  -  the bowls of which are often buckets or funnels and much smaller than this one, usually, and sitting on long stems.

this bowl shape is similar to those described as mead or low champagne, but the overall height of this one seems almost too short for those, so might just be a small goblet or wine glass.

Believe the folded foot made a reappearance, in the U.K., around the 1820 - 30 period (George IV) - although unsure if this also applies to Continental drinking glasses for the same period - and impossible to be sure of the origin of this one.
For Britain, the Georgian period spans the years 1714 to 1830 unbroken, so you might just scrape in ;) - but could possibly even be early Victorian.

Probably lead glass, and a quick flick should give the answer.           Not sure which books you have, but Bickerton's "Eighteenth Century English Drinking Glasses is good, and covers most forms to the end of the Regency.

Will put my neck on the block and say that don't think this bowl shape plus stem and engraving is British pre 1760 (George II)..............   both bowl and stem look to be too simple, but that just my opinion.

Otherwise nice glass, and at charity shop prices bound to be a bargain. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Thanks Paul. The shop has recently received a huge donation of glass, lots of antique drinking glasses right through to art deco glass. I have a friend who just joined here and his first find there turned out to be a piece of Walsh glass.

Is it ok to post links here?

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/george_ii_cordial_wine_glass/as507a018

This is similar to my glass although I have to say I would have put my glass at 1800-1820 initially. Have seen a number of glasses listed on antique sites and auctions as 18thC. However having spent some time trawling car boot sales and ebay, mostly buying ceramics, I am always somewhat sceptical dealers descriptions.

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
PS. Yes your assumption of it being lead glass is correct, rings true and a few small inclusions.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Apparently, cordial was a strong drink and all the examples in Bickerton that I can see have a very typical small bowl atop a longish stem  -  nothing remotely like your glass.
Regret I don't have any to show, so perhaps we can persuade Peter to add some pictures of his own cordial glasses so that you can see how different they are to this glass -   but it's true that the period for cordials coincided with the reign of George II (1727 - 60).

Could be wrong, but I get the impression that some authors overlook the C19 re-appearance of the folded foot, and so end up dating all glasses with that feature to pre 1760 ish, without taking other features into account.           

In view of the short stature of your glass, I'm wondering if there is a chance this might even be a dram glass, failing which I'd stick with the goblet/wine thoughts.            I'd suggest your bowl shape is a round funnel, and could be Continental  -  again perhaps Peter might offer some suggestions.

Always good to be wary of descriptions, from whomsoever they come ;D

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Thanks again Paul. I've seen the cordial glasses with the small bowl and long stem, may even be a couple in the charity shop if I recall correctly but think they are later in date, may be my next purchase although there is a very intriguing engraved wine glass, foot is also engraved, which has an unusual ruby panel or cartouche on it which appears to be a small applied piece of applied ruby glass which has been gilded. Anyway slightly veered off topic, it may well be a dram glass, the descriptions seem to vary from website to website and book to book. I may spend a few hours later looking at some museum collections online, I know the V&A has a great section for researching ceramics and have helped me id a few items in the past.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand