No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brockwitz? Flower Basket/Bowl Verification?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Neil

• Members
    • 1st Half 20thC Pressed Glass
    • Glen Iris, Melbourne, Australia
Brockwitz? Flower Basket/Bowl Verification?
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:46:44 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a centrepiece I have had together for a couple of years.
Usually the Brockwitz Cockatoo (Kakadu) is photographed in a Fortuna bowl, although it is shown by itself in the 1936 Coloured Panels (Farbentafeln) supplement, with 3 fruit bowls on the same page, 15.
I have placed mine in what I think might be a Brockwitz Flower Basket (Blumenkorb), but I have not found one in any of the Brockwitz catalogues. It features the same legs as the Prismen Flower Basket and Fruit Bowl shown on page 5 of the same supplement. It has the same design in the base as the Prismen set. I am wondering if someone, such as Pamela or Siegmar, might have come across some information about this Flower Basket/Bowl. It may just come with a number, not necessarily a name.
I have attached photos of both the unidentified basket, and the Prismen Fruit Bowl, that I also own, so that comparisons can be made.
Enjoy the alternative Cockatoo set.
Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Brockwitz? Flower Basket/Bowl Verification?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:21 AM »
G'day Neil  :)
simba-Angela has got the same bowl in green - I still believe yes, Brockwitz - although no catalogue proof found so far.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Neil

• Members
    • 1st Half 20thC Pressed Glass
    • Glen Iris, Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:45:14 AM »
Thanks for that, Pamela.
Would you say that the same legs and the same design in the base as the Prismen set would be enough to qualify it as Brockwitz?
I will catch up with Angela about hers, to see if she has a cockatoo in hers.
Good to hear from you again.
Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Another vague possibility is Poland around and after 1940 (Hortensja) where several patterns from Saxony can be found, however, neither proof for your bowl, I'm afraid. 

It's another evidence for Brockwitz if the bird sits properly, I'd say.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand