No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 5 large birds  (Read 702 times)

Offline DeanoGlass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass
    • United States
5 large birds
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »
Hello to all.  New to this forum.

I'm toning down my posting on Muscle Mustang forums, and moving into another love, glass of many types. 

I recently came upon some beautiful art glass birds.  3 similarly styled birds, (the triplets) I think they are "Dino Martens".  Also up for ID are 2 large swans, (the twins).  After exhaustive research, I am now considering that all 5 are "Dinos".  That would be nice, but not necessary for me to continue enjoying these pieces.  I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, where I found a large collection.  The pieces were collected by an older lady who liked the nicer things, making it entirely possible that these birds are "the good stuff.  I'm hopeful.  I've had many of the other pieces ID'd, with many ID'd as genuine Murano, and other noteworthy companies.  I will be posting basic shots of the birds, and am prepared to post any other requested shots.  As the "program would only let me post 4 shots, I posted the four that I have the most questions about.

This is my initial post, but it won't be my last.  All comments are appreciated, I can take the bad news as well.

Thanks,
Deano

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: 5 large birds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
Hello Deano and welcome to the board. If you want to add more images you can simply reply to your own post and add 4 more, and so on. :)  But, we do prefer that each item is a separate topic please, that way we don't get muddled as to which one we are discussing, and it also helps us "file" the topics in the correct discussion forum after they've been identified. Hope this helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline DeanoGlass

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
Ok.  thanks for the tips.  I appreciate it.  I'm starting off with my most burning question.  I am fairly sure the lined one is a Dino Martens.  Many other "Dino" tendencies lead me to believe the Swans are "Martens" as well.  I hope to get that question out of the way fairly quickly, then there won't be this kind of question to be answered involving 3 pieces.  I can run separate threads for each of the birds after classification.  I also have another line in the water, so to speak, trying to find out who made these five.  When I find out, I'll pass it on.  Hopefully this thread could end up being classifiable as "Dino Martens".  That would be nice.  Some more comparative photos.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »
I suspect the stripey one is actually modern Chinese and possibly the other two with him. The striped ones are found in every "antique" centre, but they are new and generally misidentified on a well known auction site

Offline DeanoGlass

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Cool. thanks, not ready to concede.  Thanks for the opinion.  I've has some strong signals about the triplets, so I'm still working it, the swans, i'm not surprised.  Thanks.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
Hi Deano,

I have moved your message to the general Glass forum so we can get a wider audience for views.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:34:02 PM »
The white stripey one and the blue are likely Murano. It's the triplets that are Chinese - not Dino Martens

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »
As an avid collector of glass animals and birds, I am very much in agreement with Christine about the 'triplets'.

I have seen these over and over again  being described as Dino Martens, whereas in fact they are most likely Chinese.

That said, I collect Chinese glass birds, not this type,  but the little 'Feathered' ones, and they give me a lot of pleasure.
My only objection being that they are misrepresented either intentionally or innocently by sellers, so if these give you pleasure and sit well in your collection, then enjoy them for what they are.  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand