No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sower by Queens ware question please  (Read 1575 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Sower by Queens ware question please
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
Hi all,found this lovely piece this morning and it's always a surprise when you know what something is and the seller only asks 50p!,I have seen this glass before,books online etc,but never live and was quite surprised to see it has a slight green tinge,on getting home I torched it and yes it glows,does all queens ware glow,many thanks.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sower by Queens ware question please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »
Yes all Queen's Ivory glows; the white does not glow. That was a super bargain

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »
Thanks Christine,got to admit to being well chuffed with it that's the sort of thing that lightens your step after a few hours trudging about finding naff all!,just a quick tip,if you see a very new Range Rover turn up at a boot fair and start stalling up,head towards it like your life depended on it ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
 ;) I think Christine will be making a bee-line for any expensive car that appears at a boot and starts setting up from now on... if she doesn't already. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »
congratulations bat  -  nice piece, and not one that I've seen in the flesh. .....................   think we'll all start to follow you around.

You don't mention the presence, or otherwise, of a trademark or Rd. No. - and although I'm not too well up on these QPIW things - I did think they were all marked.
This design appears in Cottle - p. 101, although he makes no comment on whether it was made in QPIW only or white vitro-porcelain only, or both.
Having checked the National Archives, and comparing this with Cottle and the op's pix, the Rd. No. looks to be 328744 dated 4th November 1878 - and was one of 12 Sowerby designs Registered on the same date............   the full range of Registrations for that day was 328740 - 51.

Sowerby's own factory pattern No. is 1350.1/2 - and according to Cottle this appears in Sowerby Pattern Book IX p. 7  -  I've not checked the Thistlewood CD's yet  -  maybe there were two sizes  -  but just guessing.

I'll post a watermarked pic of the Archives image shortly.

P.S.    The 'white' that Christine refers to - that doesn't glow - is the ordinary white Vitro-porcelain.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
 ;)
The second image shows the reg. mark, Paul.  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
sorry, I'll have to cut out the strong beer of a Sunday lunchtime - thought it was a blank pic.  :-[          In my defence, and as a reminder, it's worth including the Rd. No. as part of the subject heading, or text, just for future reference and to help in searches.

here then is the National Archive picture  -  and as usual, the design is for the plain outline shape, rather than including any decoration.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks very much Paul,it's 5cm ht by the way,i don't think you'd want to follow me around to many boot fairs as Lady Luck normally gives me a good kicking,this time I received a pat on the head and hopefully one day we'll get even more intimate. :D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
the good pickings at these places have decreased enormously in the past couple of years - time was I could always come back with a bag of bits and pieces on a Sunday morning, but now it's hardly worth getting out of bed at five thirty - especially if it's dark and cold.

this one should please Fred.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
Nice pictures, the last 20 odd rd registered bits I have found have been in here following a Google search and Gmb search, it really is useful to have the title corrected and correct rd number out in the main heading it is a great reference point for anyone around the world, lovely find and I agree with Paul with the amount of dealers at car boots it's hardly worth getting out of bed, the last car boot I went to in Exeter I found a Georgian ale glass and a couple of signed studio pieces so it's not a total loss, it fuels the addiction when you find a gem like this for next to nothing.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand