No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore & Co.  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edward Moore & Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
very glad you seem to have the answer Hearn.             Assume your butter doesn't in fact have the flared foot rim which appears to have been common to most pieces from Moore's suite covered by Rd. 94820.                  I think Henry Moore - at least in the U.K. -  was into pieces a little bigger than yours ;)

apologies Sid - just realized got the spelling of your name wrong earlier today.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
The handle matches Edward Moore's 88124 (although the rest of my covered piece with 88124 is very different) and everything else about it suggests Moore. Opaque light brown glass can also be found marked 'Portieux.' This opaque color is produced by what we call a 'reducing batch' in the glass industry, and there must be a source of carbon in the batch for this to happen, hence the references to oats, vine stalks etc. in 19th century batch books (at Fenton, we have used sugar in some of our reducing batches). We would not use the term opalescent, but I can add that this opaque brown color is quite sensitive to heat, so there may be lots of interesting swirls as well as areas where the glass is translucent.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
Hi James

Off hand I don't know what Rd. 88124 was used to Register  -  a shape only, a suite or perhaps a new decorative design, but as you'll know, rope handles were included on several Registrations from Moore........    80013, 94820, 956775, 133560 and maybe others - but like the gadrooning it seems the factory were more than a little keen on these features, and no doubt many other factories also.

thanks for the clarification on methods and processes - I think my own concern with what I shall now call the semi-translucent appearance of the op's butter, was that it looks to differ appreciably from image/description - in the British books - of Moore's caramel................  which is not of a semi-translucent swirled appearance, and is simply an opaque vitro-porclain glass.              I had the feeling that this matter had been resolved and Sid's link had shown this butter not to be from Moore, although it would still be of interest to know categorically that Moore did NOT produce this type of semi-transparent mix.
I had hoped - just out of interest - that Hearn might provide a picture of the foot rim - just to confirm that his butter is not from Moore's suite covered by Rd. 94820.

The appearance of the op's butter shares some features with Sowerby's 'Blanc-de-lait  -  although appreciate there are differences - and it may be the semi-translucence of the Sowerby product that suggested to me the word opalescent. :)

Offline Hearn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »
Hi Paul S.

Just so we can definitely wrap up this discussion I have attached a photo that illustrates the base on the butter dish.  With the help of the reference that Sid found I believe we have a definitive identification.  The reference does appear in blue but the caption mentions caramel and white.

Thanks to everyone for a very productive discussion.

Carl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:16 AM »
thanks for the picture Carl  -  so, definitely not the shape of Moore's foot rim - and does seem that with Sid's help this is now wrapped up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand