No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The same Maltese cross prunt mark was used at both Phoenician and MDG  (Read 1937 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I made this observation just recently, accidentally finding this vase while looking for another.
I thought it would be a good idea to have this illustrated here.
Here are 4 images. 2 are of the prunt mark pushed into the base of an Earthtones style MDG small square bottle, the other two are of the Phoenician vase, with a blob of glass on the front with the prunt mark impressed into that.

Please note; The difference is not just in the v-shaped notch in the arms; the Phoenician and MDG marks also have a round, raised blob in the centre.

The Mdina mark consists of just 4 separate triangles, it is completely blank in the middle.
I'll put pics of the completely different Mdina Maltese cross in the next post, for comparison.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The Mdina Maltese cross mark.

(The only place there is any light in the house is a tiny patch over the kitchen sink.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Hi Sue, very interesting, no reason why it couldn't be the same stamp? have you measured them accurately pls?

Added...... Actually the surround looks bigger on one than the other?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Patrick

• Members

I thought it would be a good idea to have this illustrated here.

Thanks for this reference point>>>>>>>>  Topic.

As I mentioned on my MDG vase it is 18mm diameter.

Patrick.

Ps . I love the Phoenician vase.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The flat circle shapes around all three crosses are 18mm in diameter.

The arms of the Phoenician cross, however, have a smooth, domed surface, while the MDG ones are flat and wrinkled.
I don't know if that means a slightly different shaped tool, or if it could be an annealing thing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Hi Sue, I did have a slight thought that the prunting tool may have left MDG and being used elsewhere but clearly that is not the case.

As we are talking about prunts here is a 'M' prunted one.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think the Mdina M is a later thing Wolfie, thanks for the addition of this extra info to this thread.  8)
I have seen it before, but don't have any examples myself.

I have been very busy "microscopically" studying the base of the Phoenician vase, just in case it might be an escapee from MDG.
There is absolutely no hint of any "battutto" style of grove on the completely flat surface.
It has been ground flat and polished to the degree of a satin finish.
I think that precludes MDG.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand