No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 12" Triangular, twisted, footed vase; signed. ID = Horia Puscariu, Romania  (Read 2521 times)

Offline hmbab

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • history
    • United States
I recently found this vase at a local flea market.  I liked the look, a little strange,  plus it was signed.   The seller didn't have a clue who signed it, or where it was from.  I'm on the west coast,  in California.  I've been collecting aid for about a year, learning as i go.  I've never seen anything signed on the top.  Or even really in a visible spot,  unless it's along the side,  on bottom.   This one is signed on top of the footed base.   As well,  the signature looks very artistic.   It doesn't look like it was done by someone who hasn't signed glass. It's almost in the Chihuly style,  but it's not his. Any ideas or ID's would be amazing. ..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: 12" Triangular, twisted, footed vase; signed on top of base foot
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
Bernard Aconito, Biot?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:42:36 PM »
I found very little on that artist.   A video on YouTube showed some  work that looked similar,  but not the same.   Also I cannot find any signatures to compare to.  It does look like Biot, but hard to say.   

Do you think the signature on my piece says "Aconito"?

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 02:34:31 AM »
Snap! I was about to post an inquiry about a piece with the same signature, as shown in the images below. It is 22cm (8.5") high. We found it in a 'collectables' store at Mt Tamborine in Queensland, Australia, although I doubt it has an Australian origin.

This item is heavy walled, with what looks like embedded tiles (maybe best called tesserae, given there are not enough of them to be mille anything?). The base is unusual, with a large untreated pontil scar inside a formed base, which has been ground flat.

Our best guess is the signature has two parts. One part looks like a signature proper with initials CH, where an extended lower part of the C also forms the crossbar of the H. (Somewhat in the manner of Colin Heaney, for those who know Australian glass, although I don't intend to suggest a connection there.) The signature proper is superimposed on a word that looks like "Corio", but I must caution this is all guesswork.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:56:24 AM »
Wow, truly interesting now!
That signature looks right to me.  Did you look at the work related to biot? The bubbled glass seems consistent, but mine does not hold that mark. 
The heavy walled nature that you speak of exists in my piece too.  Very solid,  although mine sits slightly tilted.   I Call it character.  I was immediately taken by the colors,  then the blatant signature screamed at me. 

I agree with your breakdown of the signature.   The bold CH, C crossing the H.  Then the seemingly obviously "orio" or perhaps "oris" I thought,  but your clears that up. Then I point out the accent across the signature, yours has it to, but it is a little less "drawn". Notice the similarity of it to the dotting of the I in mine. C. Horio?

May I ask what you paid for yours? I paid $18 for mine. Now with the international connection,  I'm thinking it might be valuable. ...? Here's to hoping!

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 03:14:21 AM »

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 03:19:40 AM »
The base connects a bit different on mine.   More of a pedestal mounting. ..

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
Did you look at the work related to biot?

Yes, but nothing resonated particularly.

With your photos, it is much better to upload them to the board than to insert Photobucket links. For one thing, the images are usually lost after a short time, so the thread becomes useless as a reference for others. (I note the links in one of your earlier posts from only a few weeks ago are dead already.) Also, the massive embedded photos are an obstacle for those who only need thumbnails for reference.

There is good advice on the board about resizing and uploading photos, although I see you've done that before.
Just found this website. ..  interesting.
http://kidslovegreece.com/en/activity/glass-blowing-factory-in-kokkino-horio/

No, but we had found the page below, which looks like it is closely related. It uses the spelling "Chorio" rather than "Horio".
http://www.kreta-umweltforum.de/Merkblaetter_en/314-09E.pdf

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline hmbab

• Members
    • history
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 05:32:22 AM »
I just read that page.   I've also sent an email with photos.  Hopefully there's a response.
I'm betting they come from that factory in Chorio.

Yes,  the pictures are always tricky depending on the forum. My old pictures are gone because I deleted them in photo bucket, not knowing the consequences.   Are the current ones too large? They look good on my phone and tablet,  yours need to be clicked on to enlarge. Maybe it's just the viewer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand