No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Empoli Glass  (Read 917 times)

Offline MarionW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Is this Empoli Glass
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
Hi, I have an orange decanter which I have been told is possibly Empoli. I keep comparing my photo to that of those on the net and cannot make up my mind. Are there any marking on Empoli glass or is there any way I can be assured this is Empoli?
Any help, guidance or information would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Marion

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Is this Empoli Glass
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
I don't know - I have a big blue one, similar to this, just the bottle is a more rounded shape.
The base is consistent with a labelled Empoli bottle I have, but that has mould lines showing on the body, while my big blue bottle does not. The labelled one is not cased glass. I don't know enough about Empoli to be able to pinpoint anything other than the more common, single colour, "genie" bottles.
This is, I think, a bit more special than the "normal" bottles.  I'd love to know too. :)

Welcome to the board! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MarionW

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
Thanks Sue - I am lost when it comes to glass - I have several pieces that I have no idea about - this is my major query though. Hope someone will be able to give me an idea.
Marion

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:41 AM »
I've never thought to ask about mine, Marion.
It came into the house undercover and got put somewhere it could "blend" and look as if it had been there for ages, so I'm really pleased you've brought it up.
I'll get pics of mine later on today to show you. I had to get a ladder and my arm extentions out to find it, and it's filthy. (I did say it's been there for ages, didn't I? Well at least it's true now. ;)) It needs a good clean before I can get pics. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline MarionW

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
Great - killing two birds with one stone! Mine has been hidden away for years but have to clear out the cupboards now - have a couple of others that I am not sure of but will try and sort this one out first.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
If you do a google image search for "Empoli Opalina" (i.e. the Italian for a cased colour) you will see a ton of opalina bicolore, so for that matter your piece may well be Empoli.

However it looks as if the stopper is a bit large for the body; I associate these stoppers with tall straight-sided bottles. This stopper is also tapered and may not have been made as a hanging one, sitting on a ground and polished rim.  Of course never say never, but the piece seems to have some technical uneasiness.

Another candidate maker to look out for is Blenko.

Offline MarionW

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »
Thank you Ivo.

I had a look at Blenko and most of theirs seems to be transparent - I had another search under Opalina but couldn't find anything close enough. The only ones that kept coming up were the ones that were similar but I don't think they are exactly the same but I am no expert. Am attaching photos of two of them to compare.
Thanks for your help.
Marion

Please see this page at houzz.com

[Mod: images removed and replaced with a URL to conform with Board policy on copyright images. Only one URL is given as the two photos were actually of the same vase.]

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
The stopper on mine is equally unusually large (almost out of proportion), so it will be useful to confirm there are at least two bottles with oversized tops!
I suspect I had initially hoped Blenko, but the quality is not there, I don't think. The blue casing is of varying thicknesses all over the beast, the colour is not remotely "consistent" and there are lots of small bubbles in it too, in some, the white casing shows through (on the bottom part of the stopper), there are "wonky" bits on the rim, it's not a neat, tidy finish.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline MarionW

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:46 AM »
One large mystery - I am hoping this mystery can be cleared up!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »
 :)
Right now, I'm just really pleased you brought this up. I'd hidden mine so well I'd forgotten about it. 
I've got it out and on display now - it's joined my collection of tall stoppered Empoli type bottles on top of all my kitchen cupboards. A more minor, self coloured Empoli bottle has been relegated.

They do make a lovely skyline/skyscraper sort of effect, en masse, on top of those cupboards. :)

They also end up all covered in greasy kitchen muck ::) A small price to pay for the view, cleaning it... occassionally. ;D

I have been pondering makers/origins. Japan was one ponder. So was Fiorentina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand