No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Square footed glass,continental?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Square footed glass,continental?
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
Greetings,I found this glass this morning from what we call a boot fair in this country and I think a swap meet in the U.S.?The glass is clear with a few white stones and bubbles encased within the glass,it's just under 9.5 cm and I believe it to be made of soda glass,I think it may be continental dating to about 1830 although there is no wear and has a polished Pontil,I should add it has a beveled edge to the rim although it's not very well done so it could have been done at any time,anyone got any thoughts on this one many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Square footed glass,continental?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
Tenuous probably,the cuts to the top of the foot are the same and I just wondered if anyone can read German. http://www.glaswolf.de/Sektglas_Nordboehmen.294+B6YmFja1BJRD0yOTQmcHJvZHVjdElEPTQ4OTcmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9Mjk0JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »
The wide slicing on the upper circular part of the foot, I'd agree is probably not British, especially on these square plinth glasses.            British pieces occasionally have crescent shaped cuts seen on the outer half/third of circular feet, that occur on thicker round feet on some monteiths and salts from around 1800 - 1820.
I think the text in your link is referring to an origin of north Bohemia, which was adjacent to what is sometimes called Silesia.
I would doubt that with a glass such as this there would work done at a later date  -  all that you see was probably original to the date of the glass, and bevelling was more common on Continental pieces.            That's not to say that some reduction of the foot size couldn't happen - to remove damage possibly.

Just my opinion, but your glass may well have been from that part of Europe, around c. 1800.              Rather basic wheel engraving, and an interesting boot sale find in these leaner days :)

Let's hope others will also give their opinions.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
Thanks Paul ,I have found other small plinth footed glass , I think described as port glasses,but I wish they would show images of the underside of the foot.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
nothing to add except to agree that people not adding pics of the base is the bane of my life  ::)
It's probably the most important part of helping to id a piece (well in my view at least)

That was not directed at you btw  ;D but please could you add a picture of the base? thanks
m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
Ok m I'll post it tonight,it actually has a polished pontil and then another smaller one next to it I think trying to remove a flaw.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »
It's surprises me quite how small some of these square plinths can be  -  when you consider the diameter of circular feet of comparable age  -  but it would be a bit OTT to have a thick square base too wide in view of the weight that would come with them.
Just that it looks odd to see some rummers etc. with square feet that appear disproportionately small  -  perhaps the theory was that if you had a thick heavy square foot it wouldn't fall over??         Unfortunately, feet with corners and arises tend to suffer.
Agree with m's request regarding a picture of the base.             

Perhaps port and sherry glasses - once they had become popular drinks in the C18 -  were of a similar bowl size, but not really sure.     I get the impression that C19 tavern glasses for port were of a larger bowl capacity than this one.           
Port appears to have been a drink that entered British custom only in the early C18 after political matters and royal interference had created a bias against the French wines and claret in particular. 
At that time U.K. import duty on French booze was vastly greater than on Portuguese, apparently, and so we consumed shed loads of port which gave rise to all the jokes about gout.
According to Geoffrey Wills there was no particular size or shape of glass for port in the early C18  -  you appropriated whatever glass you preferred  -  bowl size may have become smaller with the passing of time.

Ref.   'English And Irish Glass'  -  Geoffrey Wills  -  1968  ..............   very useful and very readable book. 

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
God knows what that means!?,might have to wait for the kids to get back ::)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
 Hi ,
           Plinthenglaeser =  square footed glass (plinth foot),  his main heading for these is   " Portweingläser" =  for port ,

cheers ,
          Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand