No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Square footed glass,continental?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Square footed glass,continental?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
I think a lot of glass has just been repaired for reuse, I've got a rummer that has been repaired and I think repolished some time back as the base has started to wear again I'll put a picture on in a bit.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
Hi ,
       Complete lack of wear always raises suspicion especially in glasses that are 100 plus years old,regarding this glass I would suspect that both the foot and the bowl have been attacked by the grinding wheel , a beveled edge to the bowl rim is not what would be normally found on a glass like this,they are fire polished,and the foot just looks a little mean, which along with the lack of wear suggests it too may have been tidied up.

cheers ,
 Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
One glass on the left with heavy wear some chips and no UV glow, the other has been repaired with some base wear.

The slim glass is 5 inches in height, 1 7/8th inches across the base and the larger glass 5 1/4 inches in height 3 1/2 inches across the rim and 2 1/2 inches across the base.

I think we should have a car boot section on here of known glass, i found a Lalique vase today for a pound, it's not going to make me rich as it's a modern one.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand