No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old american paperweights  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
Old american paperweights
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
Good morning ,

I recently purchased 2 old American paperweights. How do you tell who made them and how old they are.   Both have similarities to paperweights I have seen described as  New England Glass and Somerville Glass?  The Weight on the left was a local Attic find wrapped in a 1916 newspaper.

Thanks ,

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Old american paperweights
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »
Great find.  They are definitely by Union Glass in Somerville, MA.  The reason they resemble NEGC is that Nicholas Lutz worked at both factories and it is believed that he either made the Union Glass poinsettias or taught the Union workers.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
Good morning ,

Thanks.  I have just seen the exact same design with out the personalization attributed to NEGC.  I wasn't sure. Did NEGC make any personalized weights?   I live in Western ma. and purchased the paperweight on the left from a local Ebay seller.  It was found during an estate clean out in Holyoke Ma. in a box wrapped in a 1916 newspaper in an attic. It had probably been there since 1916. It is in near perfect condition with only very light scratches to the base.   The seller does estate clean outs and rarely finds paperweights. When  he does find them they are often chipped , he thought they had no value  if there was any damage so he threw them out.  I told him to give me a call next time before he throws any glass out.

Thanks ,

John 

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, NEGC did not make personalized weights.  These weights are usually considerably larger than the typical 3" NEGC poinsettia.  The dates are all 20th century dates.  And people have researched the names on them and they are usually people who can be identified with some effort.  Several authors have identified the actual makers of most by analyzing the style of the lettering, including the grandson of one of the makers.  They are not to be thrown away.  They used to be available at auctions and estate sales for less than $50 each, but such a price would be a bargain today.  It is especially nice if you can find several related paperweights for members of a family or a husband and wife.

At the very first American Antiques Roadshow, Alan Kaplan put a value $1,000 on a paperweight with flags and a date and bearing the name of the Mayor of Somerville.  That single episode caused a lot of collectors (including me) to take a second look at these paperweights and start collecting them.  At least two collectors have over 100 Union weights in their collections.

You can sometimes find them without a date and name, but they still are crude compared to the skill of NEGC.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
Good morning .

Thanks. The seller didn't think it had a value as a paperweight. He assumed I had purchased it as an Oil collectable based on the Socony personalization.  Being in Massachusetts I am surprised I do not see them at tag seals or flea markets.  Although I would prefer they didn't have the personalization they are very nice weights.

Thanks ,

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand