No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HELP authenticate Dump glass paper weight  (Read 1231 times)

Offline bait

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paper weights
    • usa
HELP authenticate Dump glass paper weight
« on: October 12, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
HELLO ALL....i purchased a small collection of dump glass weights a few years ago.the one on the left i know is a dump weight with the unusual poppy flowers....the one on the right the guy insisted it was also dump glass???? the glass looks grey in color and the bottom has a double wear pattern....in between the wear pattern it recesses....the center has a pin hole....there is also what looks like a mirror like fracture inside that does not reach the surface.this weight has blue green red orange colors.were dump glass weights made in color???and looks very early....thanks for any help

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: HELP authenticate Dump glass paper weight
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »
Everything is a dump weight if it hasn't got lampwork or millefiore in it, NOT. Looks Bohemian to me and a production weight not one made using left over (dumped) bottle glass during down time or at the end of the day.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bait

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paper weights
    • usa
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
thanks for your help....did you ever see a flower like the one on the left.whats your thought

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
They are not poppies, they are thistles, which perhaps points at Scotland, where there has been a glass industry including bottles for 400+ years, or a maker with Scottish blood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand