No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Perth Museum Collection  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Paul Ysart Perth Museum Collection
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »
Below is a link to Perth museum showing images of Paul Ysart paperweights in their collection.
http://collectionsearch.pkc.gov.uk/brief.aspx
Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Paul Ysart Perth Museum Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
Hi Gary,

Great link!! Many thanks. A very useful resource.

Great collection of PY weights. I have seen these on display in the museum and I spent so much tie there 'glued' to the cabinet that I feared the staff were becoming suspicious!!!

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
I spent an afternoon there trying to get the staff suspicious, unsuccessfully. ;D
They have a small pink Monart pin dish on display, and I had just found a small pink Monart pin dish in a local charity shop.
I had the dish in my hand while walking around the Museum, and nobody noticed that I appeared to have one of the display items in my sticky mitt.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
Wow, what a collection Gary, I think a visit to Perth is on the cards before the snow sets in.

Malcolm

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »
I think they have a lot more photographs of weights they have there, than are actually out on display.
But if you were to contact the museum first, you might be able to arrange to see some of the things they have in storage, in a private appointment.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
Sue is right, the museum has only a small selection on display.
They have a selection of paperweights from most of the Scottish studios/factories in storage and on display.
Below is a photo of the paperweight display cabinet.
Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:54 PM »
It is good to see that the Museum & Art Gallery now have their own pages with pics and info. Unfortunately (at least, as at today) it seems there is a problem with the display as most items are doubled up and the duplicates are in various places!

Back in 2003, I photographed and cataloged the reserve collection of weights (excluding the "picture weights" and some others).

At the same time, a professional photographer was on site taking images to be used for the SCRAN web pages. My catalog details included attribution info based on UV testing on the day, and my corrections to the museum's attributions were used for the SCRAN details. Searching the SCRAN site for "ysart" shows the weights etc.

But at least one item is known to be listed incorrectly - a Paul Ysart snake weight (Museum reference: 7G/1974) was stated as "Monart" but my UV checks showed it to be Caithness period. The same attribution has been used for the new details. The error was originally brought to my attention by Mark, in a 2007 GMB thread, and I am reasonably sure that I had notified the Museum & Art Gallery of this.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand