No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange teardop vase with disc rim..Scandi or Italian??  (Read 514 times)

Offline fionasn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
Orange teardop vase with disc rim..Scandi or Italian??
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
Hello again,

I'm back, stuck again (I think a newly-obsessed glass enthusiast with no knowledge is probably a pretty annoying person :-\ ) this time with a vase I have fallen totally, madly in love with. I would love to know where it's from. My miniscule knowledge tells me it immediately looks like something Scandinavian..but lots of research later, it tells me that there isn't an immediately apparent maker. Holmegaard don't seem to have a similar shape anywhere and the vases that are a solid colour, like my vase, as opposed to cased are not in this shape. I have looked at a lot of other makers too with no joy as yet.
There are yellowy-orange 'blobs' within the orange glass, in the lower part of the vase, one of which looks like an 'h' but as they are abstract blobs, I guess this is a fluke. (There is something called peacock glass which I saw, almost identical colours, but this vase only has a few blobs of the yellow).
The other glass I've seen which is more similar, is Italian Empoli, but I still haven't found this shape with the wide disc top. There seem to be a lot more rounded examples though, as opposed to the more angular Scandinavian vases.
There is no signature and the base has a rough, flat pontil mark. Up close, the glass is flecked and if you look inside, it is easy to see where the orange glass was put onto the clear class (sorry my description is so rubbish). It measures 22 cms tall.
Any pointers very gratefully received!
Thanks and best wishes,
Fiona

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Orange teardop vase with disc rim..Scandi or Italian??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
Every single one of us was once a "newly-obsessed glass enthusiast with no knowledge".
Don't worry about it at all.
It's questions that give rise to discussions and new ideas - we never, ever worry about folk asking questions. We love them.
Having said that, I'm afraid I can't help with your vase. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand