No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greek type mythological 'hero' vase.  (Read 632 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Greek type mythological 'hero' vase.
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
12 inches tall, hoped for Bacchus or Richardsons  ::)  more likely Bohemian, some wear to the enamelling and base with a number that looks like 1002 and a wonky looking 'W' any ideas please, ??? ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Greek type mythological 'hero' vase.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »
pictures of the number and letter would be good please.
Thinking possibly Thomas Webb decorated by Mr Giller as one possibility to explore?
No time to look at the moment but if you put in Webb etruscan search on here a thread might come up?

Also check out CH british Glass the first book - something in there about a vase that appeared as Molineaux Webb on the Great Exhibition list but it is thought it might have been Richardsons?  can't remember details of that one but recall a pic was posted and yours might have similarities.
But am sure the black on white with red highlights was described in the ARt Journal pics and info I have somewhere and that some of the designs on yours match some on those vases in the Journal - no time to find it at mo, sorry, but will try and look in next few days.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
Thanks M, I did try to get a picture of the marks but it is very pale, will try again and have a look at what you suggested,ta,  ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Have checked the few designs I have in my Art Union Magazine of June 1847 and your shape is not there.
There are some similarities:
1.  The design of the curls (waves) and the double band above and single below - is depicted on a jug in the Art Union on page 223 in the same way
2. The magazine describes the designs as being black on white with highlights of red
3. The sgraffito effect of the way your warrior is drawn/painted is very similar to the style of depiction on 6 of the 7 items depicted.

There are some differences:

1. The very 'natural' depiction of the tree on the reverse of your vase does not seem to be the same as the way the greenery is depicted on the vases in the journal.  In the journal the greenery is depicted in a very 'graphic and stylised' way rather then trying to appear 'natural'.
2. The small tufts of grass seen under the feet and above the base line painted around your vase, is not something that appears on any of the 7 pieces in the Journal.  All the people on the 7 pieces are sitting or standing on a plain painted line around the piece i.e. no 'natural' effect of grass tufts.
3.  The shape of your vase is not shown

I still think that Mr Giller and Thomas Webb is a possible contender for your vase though.

Also, do check out Molineaux Webb link on here somewhere as I think Neil posted a picture of that piece that was id'd as MW in the Great Exhibition catalogue - I'm sure that current thinking is that it was possibly mis id'd in the catalogue and that it appeared on a page of Richardson pieces so current thinking was that it could be a Richardson's piece.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
Thanks M, plenty to read through, best picture I could take, found this late last night,  ;D click on the picture...
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/mallams-ltd-oxford/catalogue-id-srmalla10008/lot-33d74698-c1ce-48b7-b0c0-a4240022546c

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand