No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 17th century glass - what is a flat glass to keep a mustache dry?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 17th century glass - what is a flat glass to keep a mustache dry?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
yes I did think of that but steels were used then so ??? why a glass?  I thought that might be a bit of an oddity, do you think?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »
One would have thought so, M, but I do have a boxed glass knife that has an incredibly sharp edge. It dates to the mid-1930s and was produced and exhibited at a New York festival. I don't have a photo or box details here, so can't confirm this ATM.

It kinda makes sense that glass could have a sharper edge than a honed steel blade.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
Keith apologies, thank you for looking for me.
David, mmm, maybe and thank you.  There is a knife fork and spoon in glass in the collection - so perhaps also a 'flat knife for cutting through mustaches'?  I was hoping it might be the explanation for a the shape of a piece I have but if it's a knife then definitely not. 
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
Perhaps its a translation error and they are glasses for drinking from without wetting your moustache

The glass version of mustache cups perhaps? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moustache_cup

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »
John I own some of those ('I have had a number of moustache cups made in the late 19th early 20th century but they were porcelain or china and some two hundred years later')
, and had originally thought (hoped) it might be some form of those.  Specifically the form I own or at least for the same purpose if not the same design. But so far I'm not turning up any information on 17th century glass that describes them as such.

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
I would suspect a sort of trimming aid of blade sharpener

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »
Have seen some glass razor sharpeners after seeing Ivo's post  but they are curved and not flat ??? ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 03:23:51 AM »
M, I wondered if it was an early version of No. 1 on here...  or even no. 4....  glass is referenced in the linked patent
http://mentalfloss.com/article/31590/13-patents-designed-build-better-mustache
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »
Thank you all for your searching :) and inspired ideas. I became a little distracted and now have my thinking cap on and cleared my thoughts.

I've revisited the original passage of text and I'm sure, 100%, that the glass referred to is an actual  drinking glass because the text reads :

'Here is found in rich abundance the ancient costly ruby-glass, opal-glass, amethyst-glass, emerald-glass, saphire-glass. in short glass of the most different colours. - Here is a varied multitude of shapes.  Drinking glasses of every kind, such as the now used broad and low Champagne-glass; the flat glass intended to cut through the mustache, which must not be moistened;  the thou-drinkers' glass with two compartments and two necks; the mocking glass with the hollow, globe-formed bottom, whose contents must be emptied to the last drop, before the drinker can set it down without painting a red stain on the white cloth, and many others. - Table bells, knives and forks, spoons, pots, jugs...'

So as you can see, the mustache glass is described under the section which specifically mentions drinking glasses, and is in the middle of the sentence buffeted either side by two drinking glass descriptions of other drinking receptacles, so there can be no wondering,  as there would be if it was a description tagged on at the end of that sentence.  And as you can see, knives, forks and spoons are described as such rather than as flatware and are listed separately in the next descriptive paragraph or section.

Also going back to Christine's quote from the book here below, which appears to be describing a different set of items but two clearly described as mustache goblets:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61813.msg347806.html#msg347806

'Eight gold goblets, partly ornamented with the monogram of Frederik IV, partly engraved ornaments and are finished in an
exceedingly beautiful manner: notice particularly two shallow goblets {mustache's goblets), that are distinguishable from the extraordinary
taste and delicacy of their ornamentation.
'
this is on page 70 of that document

So now, having re-examined it all, I am certain we have a drinking glass described as ' the flat glass intended to cut through the mustache, which must not be moistened;' 
And I am looking for a mustache glass, which is a drinking glass, which is described as a flat glass and is a particularly shallow goblet
Thank you all :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand