No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart globe lamp  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart globe lamp
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
My latest Monart piece is this Monart globe lamp, with original wooden base (see link below).
The colour code is 244 and was used mainly in pre war pieces.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1555&category_id=195&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
Gary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Monart globe lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
Pretty  ;D

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
I was going to have a bid on this but the two small cracks running from the drilled top hole put me off I was worried that something like a change in temperature etc could make them worse what do you think ?

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:27 PM »
Stunning piece Gary - I do love these bubbly pieces - saw it at auction and I did wonder if you were having a bid as I know you wanted one of these globe lamps. Nice buy, very jealous  ;D
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
Pretty  ;D
Thanks Christine.

I was going to have a bid on this but the two small cracks running from the drilled top hole put me off I was worried that something like a change in temperature etc could make them worse what do you think ?
As with any crack in glass, annealing or other, temperature change can effect the crack. I have minimised this possibility by fitting the correct wattage of bulb (max 15 watts) in lamp. The lamp is used every day and have found the globe does not increase in temperature. It must be remember these lamps were not used as reading lamps and therefore did not need use a stronger wattage bulb.
The drilled hole (drilled at date of manufacture) in the top of the globe was intended to dissipate the heat.

Stunning piece Gary - I do love these bubbly pieces - saw it at auction and I did wonder if you were having a bid as I know you wanted one of these globe lamps. Nice buy, very jealous  ;D
Thanks Roberta, it is a stunning piece and a Xmas present from my partner.
Gary

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:46:09 PM »
Hi,

On this occasion I was able to view the lamp and decided not to go for it. It's good to know you're pleased with it Gary, and that the globe is staying cool  :)

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi,

On this occasion I was able to view the lamp and decided not to go for it. It's good to know you're pleased with it Gary, and that the globe is staying cool  :)

Cheers, Nigel
Thanks Nigel, as Roberta mentioned I have been looking for a globe lamp for while and is in a Monart colour code I do not have.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand