No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Harris Signed Crizzle stone?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline johngowen

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight
    • UK
Michael Harris Signed Crizzle stone?
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
I have been collecting Mdina pieces for the last 3 years, still very much a beginner but enjoying getting to know what is worth collecting after a few doggy purchases  :) please see the picture of some I have on show in my kitchen.

I have been lucky to have found what I believe is a Crizzle Stone signed by Michael Harris...I was hoping someone could confirm whether this was the case or not? Size 28.5cm wide by 19.5cm high. It has a lovely lilac inner, I hope it is visible in the photos.

Could anyone advise me when it would have been blown, how many know Crizzle Stones are there, how many are signed and a guestimate on it's value.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Michael Harris Signed Crizzle stone?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
It looks fine to me. :)
They would have been made sometime between '68 and '71, probably closer to '71 than '68, as he would have had to gain some experience with handling hot glass before embarking on something so large and complicated.

I have been trying to keep count of them as they have appeared over the years, I think yours is possibly the 37th I've heard of, but there is a possibility I have counted the same one more than once, as they changed hands and there might be some I've missed.
There may be loads sitting in folks' houses and they just like them and keep them. ;D

Something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, in that place at that time. I think this came from that well-known auction site recently? Your winning bid was what it was worth. Somebody else was not willing to pay quite as much as you were, but not a lot less.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline johngowen

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
Thank you for responding so quickly, it is appreciated...yes, on that web site and the first one I've seen in three years on there, thankfully I have saved up a few pennies to get it. I thought what I paid was about the going rate.

Thanks once again.

john

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »
There hasn't been one come to the surface for a long time.  ;D
I do know some people have paid a lot more than you did, for signed ones in the past.
There is no telling where prices may go in the future, I reckon it's probably a decent investment,

but the important thing is for you just to enjoy it. ;D

I forgot to say welcome! (You distracted me with glass.  ::) )

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »
It was not described as a crizzle stone and the seller managed to misspell Michael Harris so there is the possibility that more people may have seen it. Whether or not the price could have been higher we could probably argue about for ages. ;D

I think it could turn out to be a very reasonable purchase. Mine is unsigned but if I did not already have one I think I would have been bidding. While talking about an Onion vase on the BBC's Antique Roadshow recently Andy McConnell reckoned MH's sig added a factor of ten to a value. Seems rather high to me but I don't really want to argue as I have a few signed items. :-X

A signed crizzle stone did sell for well over 3000 GBP a couple of years ago, I think that was blind auction and not online.

John

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
May I say what Monumental Sculpture pieces you have on your shelf. I hope it is well secured to the wall!  ;)

Yours

Andrew

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:10:14 AM »
Hi John, can you put up a clear photo of the signature please? Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Wolfie, do you want to see this particular signature or will another of MH's do?

John

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 04:11:51 PM »
I did want to see this one John. It would be nice to have a gallery of Harris signatures.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline johngowen

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
Hi WhatHo,

Apologies for not responding earlier...I have taken pictures, then enlarged them so you have a detail view of the signature and then compressed the file size so i could attach.

I hope they come through clearly.

I would welcome any comments regarding the signature/crizzle stone as i am a relative beginner at all of this.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand