No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium glass step sided vase  (Read 743 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Uranium glass step sided vase
« on: January 30, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
Hello, please can anyone help identify this vase?  It's driving me nuts!  It has a stepped foot and top profile and angular fluted sides.  It's big - around 10 inches tall, and glows strongly in UV light.  I've scoured my glass books and various glass websites, and the Marcus Newhall Sklo Union CD and drawn a blank. I keep feeling I'm missing something obvious! 
Thanks for any help you can give,
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Uranium glass step sided vase
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:03 AM »
Fairly sure this is Inwald. The vase is shown in 1930s Markhbeinn catalogues (Markhbeinn were a French importer who sourced much of their wares from what was then Czechoslovakia) as no. 11187. See here on Pressglas-korrespondenz for a scan from the 1934 Markhbeinn catalogue: http://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2005-1w-01-mb-markhbeinn-1934.pdf

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
Re: Uranium glass step sided vase
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »
Thank you very much for that information.  The name in the Markhbeinn catalogue is 'vase à pans moderne' which I think translates as vase with modern folds/pleats (or something like that).  The catalogue lists clear, amber, smoked glass and amethyst.  I've just been looking through the catalogues again that are on the CD ROM from the Marcus Newhall Sklo Union book.  The 11040 vase (which appears in the Markhbeinn catalogue on the same page as the vase in question) is also in the pre-1958 Rudolfova catalogue.  So maybe my 11187 vase is also from Rudolfova, and so Inwald as you thought.  The number 11187 seems to fit with the Rudolfova numbers.  I'm not familiar with the Markhbeinn catalogues, and wouldn't have seen it without your help. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand