No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Glass 10th March 1879  (Read 1865 times)

Offline nicola

• Members
Re: Sowerby Glass 10th March 1879
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »
Yes, it was published in Britain and only on the British manufacturers - Sowerby, Davidson, Greener, Heppell. It seems that Millicent loved to write and publish her own books - she wrote at least four cooking books for her local church all with similar titles 'Honey's book on ...' Clearly she was passionate enough about pressed glass to go to the cost of writing her own book, a bit like how we write websites and blogs - the information is minimal and quite basic - although accurate and the photos show more unusual (although not rare) pieces featuring some commemoratives, slag in unusual colours, nursery rhyme pieces, ribbon plates etc. Probably nothing that can't be found in the other books, but I love that she wanted to share what she knew and her collection, even if it didn't feature the flashy pieces (Queen's Ware, the M&W sphinx).
I got it in the late 90's/early 00's when it was almost impossible to find pressed glass books, or they were silly money. Hope this helps :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Glass 10th March 1879
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:26 PM »
Thank you, Nicola.

There are a couple of copies on Amazon from only £8.95, so I may well order a copy.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand