No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MDG or Craft Glass Ltd. green bottle , was silver foil used in the decoration ?  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
My first piece of MDG or Craft Glass Ltd. green (no label , battuto base ). Really lovely piece . 6 inches tall to top of stopper. Do you think these photos show evidence of silver foil being used to decorate the piece ? Cheers Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
More photos...........
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
It reminds me of this Irish green marble....

http://www.marmistone.com/irish-green-2-3842.html

8)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I do. I have evidence like this in several pieces of MDG, both blue and green (They are absolutely gorgeous, aren't they?  ;D )
I also suspect that very early on in Mdina they used silver foil rather than silver chloride.
These are images of the top of a very early medium height textured bottle with a flat polished base with this effect.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks for the photos Sue, you did mention to me this silver foil idea so when this came through the post I could see exactly what you meant. It really is a beautiful piece and I have to thank you for sharing your collection of green here on GMB. Wouldn't have known otherwise !

The similarity with the Irish green marble is uncanny and I know Patrick's blue bottle looks similar to the rare marble Lapis Lazuli

https://crystalallies.wordpress.com/tag/lapis-lazuli/

MDG 'earthtones' also looks like marble with the grid pattern , so I personally think that is what these MDG pieces represent. Only my view though.

Interesting to see the same affect in the early Mdina too !!

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Nice bottle Mike. I seriously doubt they would have used both - too expensive. Both those show evidence of silver chloride and, as silver chloride is a white powder, it's more likely insufficient heat.

http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1941 insufficient heat
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=585 enough heat

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Christine , I much prefer the globe vase decor./affect the bottle looks a bit smudged in comparison  :)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I don't quite understand what you said, Christine.

I really do think this is the result of foil, not silver chloride. The jig-saw effect is too pronounced and once the metal is really hot, it will react with the glass.
Is silver foil not a good bit cheaper than silver chloride?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Some foil shots here on a Murano ashtray......
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
On Mike's bottle there are white bits and yellow silver chloridey bits, so unlikely that both would have been used. Silver must have to be really really hot to react with the glass because it doesn't in most Murano silver foil pieces and then I think it is most likely to form brown/black silver oxide. What I don't know is what reaction in glass turns silver chloride, a white powder, yellow. A layer of white powder might break up into chunks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand