No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh Pompeian no doubt !  (Read 1366 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Walsh Pompeian no doubt !
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
Third time lucky, picked this up today and just noticed the mark, very cheap, very smug  ::) ;D ;D ( see page 110 of CH's 20th C,Glass. )

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Walsh Pompeian no doubt !
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
aah, it's gorgeous - very envious as I love that colour.  And well done, what a great find.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »
Hi Keith  -  doubt that even to save my life don't think I could tell the difference between Arculus and Walsh Pompeian  -  although suspect this one is the latter, and fairly sure I've never seen a piece of Arculus anyway.                 Assuming this is Walsh, then it's the first gold coloured piece I've seen  -  blue, purple and green yes, but not this one.......  so is this colour the rarest do you think??
Of course, if it's not Pompeian, then really no idea.                   The pontil depression is good quality, and enough wear to take it back a few decades I'd suggest.                 Diameter is 10.25 inches (c. 263 mm)

Hope you don't object too much to my adding my pix to your post. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »
Hello Paul, I saw the piece and wondered but then the name on the base gave it away  ::) the pontil mark on mine is snapped off then lightly polished, yours looks ok to me but I'm no expert on Walsh colours, the last piece I bought had a polished pontil mark and I think it was our late friend Bernard said it wasn't Walsh. No objections  ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »
I think Keith's will be uranium like this one http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1004. I don't think Paul's is. Paul's also doesn't have the surface irregularity of Pompeian and is more akin to this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=889

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »
Hi - thanks to both of you for replies.                Keith, I'm coming round more to thinking Christine is correct  -  the colour of my bowl is rather on the insipid side when compared to your piece - and it doesn't have that depth of amber that you see in Reynolds book, and in your piece.
I wouldn't like to say to what extent the appearance of the pontil is as a deciding factor - I get the impression they can be variable from within the one factory.
Just goes to show how important it is to find a backstamp. 

So we'll leave it for the time being as 'probably not Walsh Pompeian'  -  it was only £2 from a bric-a-brac outlet yesterday morning, so not a great outlay. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
Can't complain at £2 for a hand made piece of glass, wouldn't mind a piece of Arculus myself and if my present luck in finding what I've been after for ages holds out who knows ?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »
Keith, if you want a piece of Arculus, try Ink Bottles with millefiori canes ... often listed at auction as "Richardson" or even "Whitefriars" but many as just "Old English". There are quite a few about.  Only problem is you would need to study the canes for Id. ;D
KevinH

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
Thanks Kevin not sure I know enough about the canes, as you say need to study more, something I heard a lot of at school ! ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand