No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Kidd glass? 1852  (Read 1307 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thomas Kidd glass? 1852
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:06 PM »
Is this Mr Kidd the same Mr Kidd of Thomas Kidd pressed glass perhaps?
1852 book, Dodd, The Curiosities of Industry and the Applied Sciences.
'The etching or engraving of glass presents another pleasing variety. By Mr Kidd's recently-patented process, a species of embroidery of great beauty is produced. In this method, the devices or patterns are cut on the under surface of the glass, and the small facets are silvered; the result is, that innumerable tiny mirrors throw up reflections in every direction. This is the case where colourless transparent glass is employed; but where multicoloured glass is used, many novel combinations present themselves. There may, for instance, be a basis or primary layer of transparent glass; then an opaque layer of white glass is poured upon this; and, lastly, a layer of ruby glass on the white; the united thickness may be then cut to any depth and with any device, and, whether silvered or not, a rich display of colours results.

Specimens of Kidd's embossed glass, as well as of the silvered coloured glass, are to .be met with in the Exhibition, and certainly form notable features among its novelties.'

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thomas Kidd glass? 1852
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
in truth I haven't a clue ..........   but taking a slightly educated punt, I'd suggest not (but only suggest).

Your date seems on the face of it a tad early to be related to the pressed glass 'Kidd', who appears to have been active more toward the latter part of the C19 - although always possible it might have been an earlier family relation maybe.
Raymond Slack speaks of the pressed glass Kidd (Holt Town Glassworks, Gibbon Street, Bradford Road, Ancoats), as being noted for their glass novelties in 'Penny Glassware'  -  the articles they seem to have been making were more mundane and utilitarian.            For the Diamond Jubilee in 1897 they knocked out a commemorative plate, and a little later a bust of HM.
They were registered as a limited company in 1891, and continued into the early years of the C20  -  but nowhere does Slack mention anything other than bog standard pressed glass.

But, as I say, I really haven't a clue...             Would have thought Fred was possibly more the man for this question?

P.S.     edited to add........    what you need, if possible, is a list of patentees (?) for 1852, to see if the name and/or addresses match.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »
yes that's what I thought Paul (that it would be a stretch for them to be one and the same a) because of the timeframe and b) because of the glass produced (unless he went mass market in his old age ;)  )

However, it's  a strange name isn't it?  so I wonder if they were related - father and son maybe? or uncle and nephew. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
pirates - I reckon ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum