No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dino Martens Vase??  (Read 819 times)

Offline Dilly

• Members
Dino Martens Vase??
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »
Hello,  I am hoping for some help identifying this glass vase, could it be Dino Martens?..... it is the closest I have found.   It stands around 15" tall, is 5.5" diameter at widest point, 3" diam at the top.   It has a white diagonal stripe going all the way through it, and is waisted in the middle.

Thank You Dilly

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Dino Martens Vase??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
hello Dilly  -  always dangerous to pick the big name when we lack the actual provenance or attribution  -  it's tempting, but mostly ends in disappointment. :)
Are you able to point us in the direction of the source of your suggested attribution?

This single solid white thread is simplistic - at least in terms of other Italian decorative 'twists and threads', which always look far more complex  -  it's possible your thread is called mezza filigrana.

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing  -  the dull unpolished concave depression to the base  -  this may point to a more modern origin  -  have to remember that Dino Martens has been permanently absent for getting on for half a century now, and copyists are never slow to replicate where money is concerned.

Aside from knowing next to nothing about these things, I'd hate to do the dusting with a top-heavy piece like this standing around.      Hopefully, someone here will be able to offer some helpful advice.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
I agree with Paul (again) that the excentric coursely polished pontil mark would probably point elsewhere than Italy.

It is usual to find thïs finish on contemporary pieces from China, as is the mezzafiligrana technique. You can get a good feel for contemporary Chinese glass by dropping in to TKMaxx every now and then, picking up pieces, weighing them in your hand and look at the underside.

No pointer can be absolutely reliable of course, I may well be off the mark. Wouldn't be the first time either.  Nice piece, though.

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »
I'm seeing a huge number of similar items recently, but I haven't found one that I believe to be by a glass master.
Friends tell me that many decor shops and garden centres have offered various vases in this style.
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dilly

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »
Thank You Paul. S, Ivo and Jay, for taking the time to respond.  :)   I only came up with that name after researching and viewing the endless images online, the more I look at it now the more I think it make be a modern 'knock-off'    :.... it is so hard to tell. I have seen a lot of copies in TK Maxx, and they are really quite good.  I do like the vase, so for now I will add to my collection and enjoy.   Thanks again!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand