No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please - is this a piece of Skrdlovice?  (Read 869 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Help please - is this a piece of Skrdlovice?
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »
Hi.  Hope someone can help.  I found this piece in one of our small local auctions which everyone else ignored.  Labelled as a piece of Skrdlouice (that was the spelling in the catalogue) by Beranek.  To be honest I'm not sure if it's Skrdlovice but feel it is Czech but would like other opinions and if possible an ID of what it is; who designed it and date.  It's an ash tray (I think), square in shape and measures 16 cms wide x almost 7 cms high.  It weigh almost 1300 gms.  I've attached images but if anyone wants anymore please let me know.  Many Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mattschlan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Re: Help please - is this a piece of Skrdlovice?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
It does have certain similiarities to the 'andromeda' bowls by Skrdlovice from the 1960's, so it's possible. I can't find it in Mark Hill's book 'Beranek and Skrdlovice, legends of Czech glass' though.
Is it pink and blue? Or is the blue in the photos just a reflection?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
Hi.  Thanks for getting back - colour is just pink (just my amateur photography skills I'm afraid id you saw anything else) and yes it does have similarities to andromeda, but I own a piece of andromeda (well I'm pretty sure it is) and whereas andromeda is formed by twisting, this piece has been formed by what appear to be 'cuts' across the diagonal.  This gives it an appearance of being 'twisted'.  I've attached 2 images, one of my andromeda vase and a more detailed one of the new dish/ash tray I found.  I've been doing some serious trawling of the web but just can't find anything similar yet - glass can be so infuriating at time.  Maybe there should be a new law that makes people leave any labels on.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
It does have certain similiarities to the 'andromeda' bowls by Skrdlovice from the 1960's, so it's possible. I can't find it in Mark Hill's book 'Beranek and Skrdlovice, legends of Czech glass' though.
Is it pink and blue? Or is the blue in the photos just a reflection?

I don't want to sound pedantic, but it is NOT Mark Hill's book and he would be the first to say so. It is the hard work of Robert Bevan Jones & Jindrich Parik, with Mark Hill being the general editor. ;) Credit where credit is due  ;)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
After some serious searching I have found something that is similar but I'm still not convinced my piece is Skrdlovice.  If you search for Beranek and pattern 5476 you can find a small bowl / ashtray that 'sort of' looks like this one.  It's a similar size but the piece posted by CzechGlassCollector is much lighter at just about 900 gms

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
I don't want to sound pedantic, but it is NOT Mark Hill's book and he would be the first to say so. It is the hard work of Robert Bevan Jones & Jindrich Parik, with Mark Hill being the general editor. ;) Credit where credit is due  ;)

So True !! 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
Thanks very much Della and Rose. I am not sure either of the pieces in this thread are Skrdlovice. I do not recognise the bowl, it could be possibly vintage murano, which certainly made some Andromeda shaped pieces in the 1950s.... I think the blue vase is probably Chribska,

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand