No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams cut crystal jug RD 736398 of 29 March 1928.  (Read 1078 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
To show: A heavy (1.39kg) cut crystal ‘golf trophy’ jug with an uncut circular panel wheel engraved with a 19th hole flag; 5 inches tall. The star cut base bears the etched? Rd. No. 736398, registered by Stevens & Williams on 29 March 1928.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by eclectic1-2009).

I can’t recall seeing pics of this Stevens & Williams design before and have no idea whether the design was for the shape, cut pattern, or whatever.

Fred.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams cut crystal jug RD 736398 of 29 March 1928.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:54:23 PM »
That's one chunky jug, very nice, never seen one of those before !  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:21:05 AM »
I've not seen this before either - it's unusual  -  will check in the records at Kew, probably next week now and should be able to get some pix.    Registrations are, mostly, for the shape rather than decoration, but it's not a completely hard and fast rule.              I'd suggest that if the No. was etched then its appearance would not show as mat like this  -  acid leaves a clear surface on the glass, usually, which was why its use as a polishing agent - on cut glass - became commonplace after c. 1920 ish.             This No. is probably wheel engraved.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
You're confuddled Paul (what's new). Acid etching does leaves a matte result (think frosted glass, which was done using hydrofluoric acid) but that does look engraved, perhaps with a diamond pen, as it's fine and quite cursive.

Acid polishing seems to involve a mixture of sulphuric and hydrofluoric acid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
o.k., so I can't spell matte ;)  -  thanks as always. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
Fred  -  have sent you an off-Board email  -  will you let me know if you don't receive.             thanks      Paul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
this Registration appears to have comprised three separate shapes - a decanter and goblet - in addition to your small jug, and presumably it's the cut design that is being protected.          I have looked in R. S. Williams-Thomas' book just in case it was included there, but probably a design that didn't warrant sufficient merit in their list of handiwork to have been included.
I'd imagine quite a scarce suite - if you could find all three  -  and even individual pieces are probably uncommon.

P.S.    I have most of the details of the other items you mentioned, but presently unable to locate a picture of the St. Pancras Iron Works p/w Rd. 160988  ...   I have a feeling that the Registration was either withdrawn or not accepted.              I need to speak to one of the researchers at Kew before I can say more.          Hope to let you have the others tomorrow or Monday. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
Thank you very much for all your hard work, Paul.

Nice to see the design representation of such a comparatively 'modern' piece, especially as it reveals two additional shapes. I'm surprised that there is so much detail in the drawings - shape, cut, and even the engraved '19th hole' vignette.

A complete trio would be quite a find, I imagine - just the present to delight any golfing enthusiast.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand