No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Meadow Green Bowl, or not ??  (Read 576 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Whitefriars Meadow Green Bowl, or not ??
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
Hi,
I've had this bowl for a year or two and have assumed it's Whitefriars in Meadow Green.  I've just been trying to look it up and can't find it in any of the WF catalogues I can access online, and also haven't seen it in Lesley Jackson's book.  Am I completely wrong about the id?  Can anyone enlighten me?

It's about 26cm in diameter (just over 10 inches).

Thank you for any help,
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Whitefriars Meadow Green Bowl, or not ??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
Looks more similar to Stuart crystal Stratford bowls

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
I would agree, almost certainly Stuart's 'Stratford Rings' pattern.          Have a look on the Board's 'Search'  -  should be awash with various shapes showing this pattern.                 Sometimes have the Rd. No. on the base too, but they weren't always marked unfortunately.
Green probably the most common colour, but also in amber and blue, plus clear of course  -  as pix attached.
Maybe this one is worn and backstamp now very faint, perhaps  -  not always on underside of foot - could be on the edge of foot rim.

Design started life in 1921 and went on until 1970s, apparently.................   Stuart didn't do a uranium green though - at least no in this pattern.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
Thank you both very much for that information.  I've searched Stuart Stratford Rings on the board as suggested and my bowl in profile looks very like the bowl in the third image down in Paul S's post from 2013 http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=51252.0 .  I'm attaching a photo of my bowl in profile.  My bowl isn't a uranium green, I've just checked with a uv light.  There's no 'S' or Rd. No. on the bowl, but I've just read that Stuart didn't mark seconds, which this one may well be as it has a small surface bubble. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand