No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating a Port or Wine glass  (Read 2223 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Dating a Port or Wine glass
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Hi ,
          Firstly ,welcome to the forum ,
I have read through this  thread with interest and see that most of what I can say has already been said , just to add my two pence worth though I think your glass is English and lead glass , the ridge you can feel on the bowl rim is quite normal and is down to the fire polishing giving it a more rounded and softer feel, a folded foot is no indication of age I am afraid, glasses with folded feet can be 500 years old or 5 days old,these types of glasses are fairly common and I would suspect yours dates anywhere from 1780 to 1820 give or take a little either way for the reasons already given by others, what were they used for ? , anything you like I say , there is very little documented evidence of glasses being produced for specific drinks like Gin and Port until the later 19th century and most of the attributions given today are guess work except for some like ale and beer glasses and cordial glasses etc  , small glasses like these would I think have been used for stronger spirits, so yes Gin Whisky Port etc are all possible candidates.
Being inexpensive these little glasses are a great area for collecting without laying out fortunes and you can enjoy your favourite tipple from a glass getting on for 200 plus years old .

cheers ,

Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
Peter - Thank you for the clarifications and explanation.

I am new to glass collecting, and what I see is that glasses like this one can be readily found for under 5 Pounds.

Like you, my enjoyment is in taking a drink from a 200 year old glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
Hi
           " Like you, my enjoyment is in taking a drink from a 200 year old glass."

I think you will find we are in the minority here,every glass that comes to live with me has to be road tested, that's my excuse anyway !!

cheers ,

Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand