No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Restoring cloudy glass using metal polish....an amazing result.  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Restoring cloudy glass using metal polish....an amazing result.
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
I have had such amazing results cleaning a lead crystal vase using a metal polish I just have to tell everyone !

Peek metal polish (by appointment to the Queen  ;) )  cleans all metals ,ceramic and fibreglass . So I was given a tip to use a metal polish to clear cloudyness on this vase and it's gone, vanished , with very little effort (about 10 minutes ) .

I just used kitchen paper and rubbed the paste around and polished it off with a clean cloth.

The vase dates from c1930's and is a Gerda Stromberg design for Stombergshyttan. (see before and after pic..)

As Peek can be used on fiberglass then I guess it can't damage glass in anyway but I need to add a disclaimer and say seek professional advise when attemting to clean and restore any rare and valuable glass  ;D
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Restoring cloudy glass using metal polish....an amazing result.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
Would that be similar to Brasso, Mike? That looks like a paste, while Brasso is a liquid, but I think they might do the same job.

Brasso is the right stuff for cleaning ivory. (Tip from an old, traditional piano tuner.)

If you need to remove rust stains, minced/grated raw onion is the solution.
It can be used to unrust nuts and screws too. Very useful for the fittings on ceiling plafonts. I've succeeded in separating a single mass of rust back into a usable screw and nut before.
Essential if the nut is a frilly, decorative one which needs saved. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
Thank you so much for the tip! I've been faffing about with polishes and machines in the kitchen, hanging half above and in the sink etc. and this sounds so easy!
Could you just confirm please, if you used it dry, with a damp cloth or added water?

Can't wait to try it!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
Peak is super stuff, but I've not tried it on cloudy glass.  I wonder if it works because it leaves a slightly oily residue on the glass? Fine for vases but not good for drinking glasses or decanters.

I did find that a cloudy tumbler when filled with pineapple juice then emptied and washed again magically became clear once more. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Pineapple juice contains digestive enzymes, it would eat up organic residues. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
It's definitely a paste rather than a liquid . It's like toothpaste . I wonder if Brasso would work just as well ?

I think the fact that the glass is lead crystal might have something to do with how well the polish worked. I haven't tried it on soda glass.

Anne it's very much like toothpaste so I just rubbed it in using kitchen paper straight from the tube.

If it is something to do with the oily protection residue left by Peek then that could be a problem . Somehow I don't think it is . Not sure though will have to give it a good wash in fairy liquid to see .

Might try the onion trick  on a rusty bolt Sue !!  ;)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
Just given it a good old wash with fairy liquid and the cloudyness has come back !! ...Ahhh !! So it's all down to the oily residue left by Peek which protects metal .

At least I have discovered a temporary fix ...but buyers beware  :o   Ahhhhh !!  :'(     Thanks Anne for pointing that out !
Mike

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
So it's back to the sink then I guess ... :-\

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »
a similar result - and again only temporary - can be achieved a little easier by simply applying a very thin film of silicone grease to the surface in question........    the advantage is that it doesn't evaporate, at least not in the short term  -   but as mentioned probably not safe to apply to drinking glasses.

If you look back in the Board's archives, we must have spilled gallons of ink on this subject, with little to show for it other than professional treatment being the only real solution.       Acid washes will remove a micron or two of glass, smoothing the corroded glass surface and returning it to something like its original condition, although pieces with engraving or some other forms of decoration may not be suitable.
Lime scale can be removed by immersing in one of the proprietary WC lime scale liquids, but think I came to the conclusion that the moment you start to scour a surface which has some lime scale, then you run the risk of scratching the surface, and adding to the problem.
I bought one of these products recently, for the toilet, and it worked a treat  -  removing substantial and stubborn amounts of scale - but of course had the item been of glass and not glazed ceramic, then damage to the surface may well have already been done.      There must be something in lime scale that is corrosive to the surface of glass.

Obvious to say it of course, but making a point of cleaning a vase thoroughly after each flowery occasion, will prevent the build up of scale.
Hard water areas are probably the most problematic - I'm not sure you get scale with soft water.

Sorry, should have added  .... acid must never be used as a home treatment  -  requires professional knowledge and can be very dangerous.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
You do not get a "scale" with soft water, but it's not completely free of stuff. My kettle eventually goes a bit brown inside, with a very, very fine, dull layer of I-haven't-a-clue-what. It doesn't come off.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand