No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rekindled Passion  (Read 4015 times)

Offline cobweb

• Members
Rekindled Passion
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
So I have been a glass collector for many years and in the past few have moved back to where I started collection more Vasart and Monart along with any Scottish paperweight of good quality I can find......but...I have always had a soft spot for Pirelli animals.

Due to a lack of funds and not finding any on my travels I hadn't been actively collecting them for the past few years and have drifted away from this board and other resources I had used in the past.

However - today was a good day and I got all of the items in the attached images along with about another 30/40 animals of poorer quality which I will sell on almost immediately.

I know some are definitely Pirelli (Scotties etc) but I wonder if the Hippo is? He is very like the dinosaur.....is the frog as well? Is the monkey Bimini? Pretty sure that the snake is Bimini.

Chuffed to bits to get a peacock, and the Big Highland Coo which I have wanted for many moons.

Ok...so photos are too big to attach so I'll upload to a FLIKR or similar and add links in

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Rekindled Passion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
Hi cobweb, welcome back to the Board.

Check out: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51531.msg349627.html#msg349627 - although I do not collect lampwork figures, the 2nd book in the series (Pirelli Glass) is an excellent reference and provides details on all of the Pirelli figures, including the rare ones.

As for photos being too big for the Board, please see: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.msg154302.html#msg154302
My personal recommendation is to use www.picresize.com which is free to use, gives very good results and easy to work through. Just set the longest dimension of a pic to about 700 pixels and let the routine do the work.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cobweb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »

Offline cobweb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
Hi cobweb, welcome back to the Board.

Check out: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51531.msg349627.html#msg349627 - although I do not collect lampwork figures, the 2nd book in the series (Pirelli Glass) is an excellent reference and provides details on all of the Pirelli figures, including the rare ones.

As for photos being too big for the Board, please see: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.msg154302.html#msg154302
My personal recommendation is to use www.picresize.com which is free to use, gives very good results and easy to work through. Just set the longest dimension of a pic to about 700 pixels and let the routine do the work.

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the kind words - I used to email with Frank Andrews about some of the Pirelli animals years back on the Ysart pages before the rise of the other websites.

I have been close to buying the book on eBay a few times...I might have to do that now.

Any opinions on any of the pieces by anyone would be welcomed and if anyone is interested, seeing as I am off on holiday, I might take good photos of my full collection...it must be up to about 100 pieces now.

Offline Angela B

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Author & Researcher
    • glass (all) cats (all) bridge
    • New Zealand and UK
    • The Glass Encyclopedia
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:13 PM »
Hi Cobweb,
Great to meet a fellow Pirelli collector! Welcome back. I have looked through your photos and some of them I couldn't see well enough to be sure, but here are my opinions. But do please buy the book - its the only way you can be sure and we have taken decades (literally) to make it comprehensive. So here goes on your pictures:

Starting with the first one that comes up, showing a fish, dragon, and a sort of thingy. None of those are Pirelli.
Pic 2: Rhino - not Pirelli
Pic 3: lots of things that aren't Pirelli but there's a Pirelli lobster in there, and what could be a Komaromy ostrich.
Pic 4: I can't see any Pirelli - not very clear
Pic 5 and 6: a Pirelli chimpazee, but it isn't very clear. You should compare it to the one in the Pirelli book on page 70
Pic 7: Not clear - can't see any Pirelli's
Pic 8 and 9: not Pirelli
Pic 10: Could be a Pirelli peacock - not very clear. Compare to Pirelli book pages 74 & 100
Pic 11: Pirelli scottie dog and probably a Pirelli ass (see page 63)
Pic 12: whole bunch of Pirellis jumbled up together - can't see very clearly
Pic 13 and 14: Pirelli HIghland bull (see page 99)
Pics 15 and 16: Probably Pirelli hippo and bronto (xee page 75)
Pic 17, 18: Not v clear, mostly not Pirelli but could be Pirelli frog and fox (see pages 67, 68)
Pic 19: Can't see any Pirellis except Chimpanzee. Not v clear.

I hope that is helpful.
Bimini Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1090649789
Pirelli Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1484086309
New Zealand Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0ND3Q
London Lampworkers book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHRQS9W
Bagley Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1544083882
Children's book about cats - https://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B08CD46QY2

Offline cobweb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
Hi Angela,

Thanks for you opinion on the pics. They were taken quickly on my iPad after I had came back from the auction where I had picked the lot up - the peacock definitely is Pirelli as is the fox....the frog is a new one on me.

I have a few more items that I am unsure of along with some others so at some point so I'll take better quality photos of my whole collection and post them in a new thread.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Could you put one item per topic, please Cobweb, when you do them, it makes discussing items easier as we don't get muddled up. Ta! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline cobweb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »
Could you put one item per topic, please Cobweb, when you do them, it makes discussing items easier as we don't get muddled up. Ta! :)

Hi Anne,

Happy to do so but I have LOTS of animals now...while I know some are very obviously pirelli (cats, scotties and kingfisher on branch etc.) there are lots of others that i would like to share....one item per topic would mean me taking over the board.

Would it maybe make more sense to group them together Say into fish, birds and so on?

Regards

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »
Hi Cobweb, we really don't mind lots of posts. :) 

But rather than post multiples by type, we can cope with multiples by maker, so anything you are certain is Pirelli (i.e. labelled or matched in the catalogue/book) then they'd be fine together in one topic. 

Where things are unknown maker then separate is needed, as I can't imagine you'd be able to post them all at the same time and flood the board all at once? Ta! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
I'd love to see them Cobweb... and I don't mind how many different threads there are, I will look at them all, and so will others, I'm sure. :)
Can I make a plea for them to be on a perfectly plain white or back background so there is no pattern to interfere with the lovely glass please? :)
I'm looking forward to lots of reading.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand