No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: small paperweight id pls  (Read 4239 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
small paperweight id pls
« on: November 19, 2016, 12:45:19 AM »
Hi, it will be interesting to see what you guys think of this.
Its 1 3/4" across and has a flat ground base with wear. Although the base is flat ground you can see very very slight angles on it if you get the light just right.
Thanks for any help, cheers Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: small paperweight id pls
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »
I found a damaged one and posted it here,it's early Chinese an very collect able,although I think there are a few who believe them to be bohemian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Hi,

I also believe it is old Chinese. Hopefully, Alan T. will see this post. In the meantime have a look at his website, he has a page on Chinese weights including some old ones:

http://www.pwts.co.uk/pages/Chinese%20older%20paperweights.htm

SophieB

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
Thanks everyone, the canes look better quality than the average Chinese weight I know, maybe that's why some think they are not Chinese? :)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »

I agree - Chinese.  The left hand side top two in the image below are fairly similar The canes are better than average...but some have to be, unless all are the same :-)

I know that these have occasionally been called Bohemian in the past, but all the characteristics are much more like Chinese pieces than Bohemian - and they never turn up in central Europe.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:56:41 PM »
Not everyone agrees.  I believe this style is not Chinese but most likely originated in Europe.  No definitive proof has been offered either way. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »
I had a felling there might be mixed views on this paperweight.
What date are early Chinese paperweights from?

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
Most of the Chinese weights have milli that have 6 lobes in the center or other sections. This weight has everything produced with 5 lobes/star, that may indicate that it has a different origin.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »

Hi.  I believe that these early Chinese paperweights were made in the 1900 to 1930 period.  I think the 'five lobe' rather than 'six lobe' may represent a different factory in China, rather than a different country of origin.  The profile of these pieces and the glass are quite unlike any known 'Bohemian'* pieces, and quite like later Chinese ones. That is not proof, I realise, but I think it is a strong indicator.

* Bohemian.  This word seems to get used very loosely  (especially in the US)  to mean anything from Central / Northern Europe that is not French, Italian or Belgian.  So items from Poland, Czechoslovakia, Thuringia, Austria and elsewhere can all end up being called 'Bohemian'.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Again, I disagree.  The glass is unlike that found in Chinese paperweights of the period.  It is clear glass and does not attract moisture, contrasted with the the high soda ash glass that causes the Chinese paperweights to develop an oily feel.  The circular base is ground flat, not fire finished.  We don't know where these paperweights come from and it may very well be an unknown European factory or even an unknown American factory.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand