No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Half-post' method jugs?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
'Half-post' method jugs?
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
Hi,
Having seen a number of 'German' 'half-post' method bottle and decanter shapes on here, I was surprised to find these two jugs which I believe are made using a similar technique (maybe). If they are half-post, why would they be made this way, and if not, what technique causes the fold/ join at the 'neck'? They are 5 1/4" or 133mm tall and have a 3" or 76mm rim diameter.
Any information on these is gratefully received. TIA.
Kind regards
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 'Half-post' method jugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
hi Nick  -  could be wrong, but I'm really not seeing what I normally consider to be half post appearance, on these jugs.              Half post to the best of my knowledge doesn't start/stop at the sort of junction you're suggesting here i.e. exactly where the bulbous body meets the vertical neck.
Unfortunately, the combination of colour of glass and lack of contrast doesn't show that part of the object to best effect, so really can't see if there is in fact that usually noticeable decrease in thickness of glass that is usually very apparent on half post, where the outer second dip finishes.     

sorry to be dim ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:28:13 PM »
 :)
So I wasn't the only confused one.
I have a deep-seated personal dislike of the term "half-post", which has its origins in something relevant to bottle making, but subsequently got used everywere.

Basically, it's exactly the same as a partial casing, which does not extend to the neck or rim of whatever it is on.

I'm on a mission to replace the term "half post" with "partial casing".
I can't make out from your pics what's going on, but can you find the top of a layer of casing that doesn't reach the top of your jugs?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
I suggest a very small green bubble has been blown into the bottom half until it touched the walls and then burst. That's often how thin internals layers are created.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
 ;) Is that the same as half-post or something different?
(I never understood the explanation of half post, it was all wordy, I needed a series of  illustrations.)
hiya :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies and apologies for any misuse of terms. I was under the impression that half-post referred to the fusion of two parts of worked glass (bottles /decanters mainly) to make a whole, usually at the neck.
For clarification, my jugs appear to have been made in two parts with the neck having an internal lip/fold where the 'join' is, creating a slot onto which the base has been attached( i think as Christine suggests, but I'm not sure what the interpretation of 'burst' is). I hope I haven't confused the issue further.
I must admit to be at a loss as to why you would make simple 'cream' jugs in such a complicated fashion.
Best regards
Nick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
almost certainly not a half post then, Nick.                  Christine will correct me if I'm wrong, but the essence of a h.p. is that the first dip is blown and then whilst still plastic is re-dipped for a second gather and blown again.              Historically, presumably, the second dip came only about half way up the object, hence use of the word 'half', but it seems that - as far as bottles are concerned - most outer casings end rather nearer to the top  -  somewhere around the shoulder of the object.              This is seen commonly on decanters from memory, and is unmistakable when you see it :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
I don't know anything about half post. I was merely suggesting how the colour was applied to the bottom half only. I don't think the jug body was made in two pieces, as it appears to have been blown into a ribbed mould with a clearly defined waist to me

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
and you were my hero - I thought you knew everything Christine :-*           that's ruined my day :'(

Apparently the 'post' bit of the phrase was taken from the French word 'Postes' which I think means a gather of glass............  but, anyway, we've had the bottle reference site on here probably many times, and here it is again, for everyone's edification.
Start by looking in the Glossary at the sub-heading 'German half-post' and then follow the various other links within the text - a very interesting read......

[Mod: Failed link removed. See next post for a different link to the same place.]

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
I was just about to post exactly the same link - yours doesn't work for me Paul, so just in case...

https://sha.org/bottle/glassmaking.htm#Half-post%20method
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand