No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Reg. 91431 - 14.01.1888  (Read 967 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Sowerby Reg. 91431 - 14.01.1888
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
This one came by way of looking for Rd. 91432 - rather difficult to miss consecutive designs when they're on the same page - and would be silly to miss the opportunity of adding another Sowerby item to the list of Registered designs data base.
Will leave it to Fred to add the factory pattern No.  -  I have looked in Cottle, but after c. 1880 he provides very few of the corresponding factory pattern Nos., and others are far better than me at locating these things.
Unusually, the factory drawing appears not to comment or describe the nature of this piece - they do often - so assume some sort of dish or bowl - I see Cottle calls it a dish - and as usual not the remotest idea as to dimensions.     
I did punch the No. into the Board's search, but nothing that I could find - so perhaps a scarce design  -  either that or I missed it. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Reg. 91431 - 14.01.1888
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
Than you, Paul.

This is one of those odd cases where numerous searches through the pattern book have so far failed to reveal a match.

I do, however, have a couple of photos from different sources that show a clear 5.5 inch diameter comport or tazza in the pattern.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Reg. 91431 - 14.01.1888
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
sorry to hear this appears to be an absentee from the pattern books, at least for the time being  -  take it you've been through the CD catalogues?  -   anyway would agree that the two pieces you show are certainly matches for the pattern, if not the shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand